What is sevin dust?

Quote:
One thing I have learned about the government in this country, along with the Food & Drug Administration and U. S. Dept of Agriculture, is that no one should trust them. Putting it on the label and saying you can use it on dogs does not make it safe. If enough money changes hands and enough people get properly compensated to 'certify' products as safe, it will happen. Remember Phen-Fen? Thalidamide? Artificial sweeteners? Genetically Modified Soybeans? All of these things were found to be safe and effective, but they are not. If you wouldn't use it on yourself, then do not use it on your chickens.

I use food grade DE on everything and everyone. Dogs, cats, carpets, yard, chickens, coops, under the house, you name it and I feel very comfortable doing it. If you still have a problem with mites, maybe you should have a coop deep clean and try all new bedding material and putting some of the DE in one of the 'dust tubs' they make for themselves.

Dogs are always sniffing. So they sniff the DE into their nostrils and since DE has these little sharp edges that cut everything in sight, the dogs nostrils get cut up as time goes by, right? Runny nose? sinus problem? Dont always believe what a salesperson tells you about the most wonderful product in the world that DE is.
Dont worry, DE is ineffective when wet til it dries.

My mom and dad had chickens for years and always used sevin dust if they had a problem with pests, they never had a problem with the eggs or the chickens from using it. I have it on hand but only plan on using it if i have an outbreak.
I picked up a spray from Tractor supply made by Manna Pro that is for chickens and is all natural. I use it in the coop after cleaning and on the newly acquired birds. Just can't remember the name, will have to make a trip to the shed to find out.

Food grade DE does NOT have little sharp edges that cut anything. If so, it would be like dusting with ground glass. The DE for pools does. This is why pool grade DE is a breathing hazard and not to be used around animals.

It is inert when wet. This is because it's only a drying agent. It works by drying out the bugs and killing them. I won't supply all the references but people tend to believe whatever they want to believe and this can be researched online easily.

Yes, Sevin is Carbryl (sp) and there is a product called Sevin-5 that is sold which is nearly the same. In fact I can't find real Sevin dust either here, but this Sevin-5 stuff does the trick. Yes, it is a weak carcinogen so I wouldn't dust the world with it but sometimes we need more for control and until I can easily find a good "organic" replacement, I'll use it. I'm just mad that I can't find real Pyrethrin any more. Permethrin based dust is nearly as good though and it's another I will use when I can find even that, and usually I can't unless I want to go online and pay shipping. Which I don't.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
Scroll
down to "INTERNAL PARASITE CONTROL." First paragraph:
Food grade DE makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of DE is due to the RAZOR SHARP EDGES of the diatom remains. When DE comes in contact with the insects, the SHARP EDGES lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration.
A reliable sales site such as the aforementioned would mislead anyone about a product they are selling???
I didnt know worms had exoskeletons!
Dont worry Galanie. I use sevin dust...always have, always will. We've been using it since the 60's in our vegetable gardens, dogs and chickens. I'm still here typing. Technically there's a 7 day withdrawal period contrary to a 54 day withdrawal previously mentioned in this thread:
http://www.cfo.on.ca/_pdfs/PoultryWithdrawalTimeChart-Mar30-07.pdf
We've eaten eggs after using sevin all these years with no issues, just rinse them off.

Last edited:
I've used Sevin-dust on the dogs before. We got into a nest of seed ticks. I also dust the coop with it every 4-6 months. Just a light sprinkle. The rabbit hutch got a dusting before when the seed ticks got into the bunny area.

It is also to useful for gardens, great for getting rid of potato bugs for those who don't have chickens.
smile.png

I also use use Sevin-dust on the ground under ALL my cages. Also on chicken that have a severe mite/lice problem.

DE works in coop and covered run. but useless where it can get wet.

Been using Sevin in garden for 20 years+, on chicken 3 years+

I also use use Sevin-dust on the ground under ALL my cages. Also on chicken that have a severe mite/lice problem.

DE works in coop and covered run. but useless where it can get wet.

Been using Sevin in garden for 20 years+, on chicken 3 years+

Hopefully your kids and grandkids won't be affected by it down the road. Not everything that's hazardous to us has an immediate effect. That's why cancer has now surpassed heart disease as the number 1 killer in America.

Back
Top Bottom