What is she? (dog breed guess)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Sep 6, 2008.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Hope is my rescue dog from 2 years ago. She was found on the side of the road as a 8 week old puppy.
    Based on her coloring alone, I've been told she is a rott mix. I dont think she is.
    She acts like a hunting dog. She has a very high prey-drive. She wasnt trained to hunt,but she does it on her own. She jumps thorugh fields like a deer, and she can jump on a rabbit and catch it in one try. She can jump through/over any type of fence at a dead run. She doesnt bark at people,only at un-wanted animals.
    She weighs 60 pounds and is full of love.

So start making guesses, what do you think she is?(I live in a rural area, so I doubt she is mixed with any rare breed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    She looks identical to my old dog , which was a Dingo/ Rotrweiler. Beautiful dog. [​IMG]

3. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    She looks like a Shep/Dobie mix I had years ago BUT you said she acts like a hunting dog so maybe she is a Coonhound mix

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    rottweiler/lab? I think it is rottie something. Definitely rottie and not dobe, if you look at the behind, it is more 'messy' like a rotties.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if I would say Rottie. Maybe some kind of coonhound, like some others have said.

But, IMHO, she has a serious look from the side of a Lab. She hasn't got the Lab ears, but the body, to me says lab.

Lab/Coonhound/hunting dog mix would explain the prey drive.

Don't you wish their was some kind of test where you have a simple blood draw and find out exactly what your mutt is? Either way, you've got a good dog. My mutts have ALWAYS been more robust then my purebreeds.

She's a doll, either way. [​IMG]

Em

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i would have to say lab/rottie too..check between her toes and see if she has web feet she has the rutter tail of a lab maybe the ears are from another breed maybe German Sheppards. her ears are small and floppy like my dogs are and everyone tells me my dog has sheppards ears

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    her feet really arent what I would call webbed.
    She does like to swim,but yet she hates walking thorugh puddles of water.

When I first brought her in the vet said she was a rott/beagle mix, and once she got older he changed it to beagle/german shephard.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  8. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    My guess would be Shepherd/Black & Tan mix...given the size..beagle would have made a smaller dog I think. She looks pretty big to be a beagle mix.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would guess that one of her parents was a rottie, or rottie mix.

10. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    There is some type of hound in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by