What is she? I was told black Maran?

Karridoll

In the Brooder
May 2, 2019
EF004CF7-8B4E-4871-B3B8-493ECE6D31DE.jpeg
754AB407-BEFA-42FC-90B9-D4BA90601CDF.jpeg
I got a few girls from my husbands buddy and this pullet was identified as a black Maran. Doesn’t seem right to me with those white feathers. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Marans and Australorp have white skin so bottom of feet will be white/pink. Jersey Giants have yellow skin so bottoms of feet will be yellow.

We say bottoms of feet as many times these breeds have overwhelming slate legs making quick identification difficult- need to look at feet.

I have a pullet very similar looking but she is a mix. However I think there is maran mixed in her. She has the white tipped wings also but she is now having red bleed through on her neck. She is about 10 weeks old.

Basically when laying they are done with the constant mini molts of growing out. They don't change much after. True color, birds with patterns, won't show complete until after first adult molt following fall.

By that I mean if a silver bird has some brown hue it may lighten/be silver after first adult molt or vise versa. Little things can change with pattern birds. Best breeders can't be fully evaluated with them until after 1.5 years, that first adult molt. Solid color birds don't change really. What they are at laying age is what they are.

Back
Top Bottom