What is she? Update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaulaJoAnne, Dec 4, 2009.

1. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok, this is not the best pictures, but its what I have at the moment.
    Many of these chickens were in need of rehab. THese pics were taken a few months ago, and I am happy to relate that everyon is doing fantastic, and looking much better.
    Even the two with the naked backs are growing in feathers very nicely.
    I know we have some mutts in there, amongst the cochins, EEs, cuckoos?, and RIR cross. Feel free to share what you think some of the odd ones are.

But the one I am most curious about, is the one on the bottom row, third from the left. Black and white.

[​IMG]

And here she is in the foreground.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    The two on the left of 1st pic look like Silver Laced Wyandotte. She could be the same, a mix, or something like a Easter Egger. Like you said the pics are not the best. There are what looks like some BR, RIR, Buff Orp, sexlinks/or/stars (whatever u wanna call them), maybe a NHRed. Just guessing. The white ones could be a lot of different kinds. Maybe some other people can help more.
    It will help some when she gets all of her feathers back.

3. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Actually those are silver laced Cochins:) We have close to 20 of them, in various colorations.
    They are still a bit young in these pics. They are now a year old.
    The other one is very hawky looking, has white/grey/black legs, and no real comb or wattles to speak of.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I thinks she's a mix, maybe an EE?

5. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Ee

6. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    She does lay a blue green egg. I did not think she was a true breed though. Just curious what others thought.
    Now I need to get a pic up of the hen with the excessive wattles......I will take a pic when I go out to feed today.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yep, definitely an EE gal if she lays pretty eggs. [​IMG] EE isn't technically a "true breed" as they're mixes anyway, but are considered to be a "breed" casually.

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

That's your clue, the blue-green egg. Easter Egger aka EE. Not a real breed, but known for it's egg color.

I see buff, white and silver laced cochins, a perhaps bantam RIR and maybe some barred rock bantams??? A nice little assortment, even the naked rumped red girl, poor thing, LOL.

9. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:No Bantams in this group.
    They are all nice heavy girls at 4-6 pounds each.
    The weird looking grey ones are cuckoo's that were a bit torn up from improper flock care, and a 10 pound rooster [​IMG] They lay very pretty dark brown eggs.
    They are also looking much better, since that pic was taken late summer.

10. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Here is my poor black hen. If you look close, you can see that she is finally growing feathers on her back.
    I can't wait to see what her tail will look like!
    She lays a very pale apricot colored egg that is anything but standard in shape. Its long and skinny [​IMG]
    She won't be winning any beauty contest for awhile, thats for sure, LOL!

I felt good about taking in all these hens, because even though the owners were careless in care, all of them were very healthy, and I could see no issues other then they looked ragged in the feather department.
    They are so spoiled now, when it comes to food.
    We keep to as much organic as possible, a wee bit of corn now and then, and never any soy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by