What is she & where did she come from?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frillydishes, Sep 11, 2014.

1. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Rabbit, I hatched her in early spring. All the eggs came from my flock that's made up of a Brown Leghorn Roo, a few B-Rocks, Austalorps, Speckled Sussex, & Black Sexlinks. She somehow came out with a really wild pattern and puffy cheeks like an EE but lays light brown eggs consistently. If I didn't know any better I'd think our hawks were getting in some side action while my Roo's not lookin! She was the only one to come out with this pattern, the others were very true to their Mamas. She's the smartest, fastest, and most aware of the group but hangs out in the lower end of the pecking order. She also makes a clicking noise I haven't heard from any of the other ladies.:confused:

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    She's very pretty!

Do you have a pic of your Brown Leghorn rooster?

I'm just wondering if there's a chance he's part Easter Egger.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I would vote a Hawk did it[​IMG]

Sure looks EE to me. Very interesting!

4. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [​IMG]

Here's Cleatus!

5. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    It has been my experience that the beard and muffs are fairly dominant. I don't know that they can just pop up from chickens that don't have them. Any chance you (or a neighbor!) has/ had any easter eggers that could be a parent?

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Great looking guy…wish I had more room so I could get one like him.

7. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    "Rabbit" also has a pea comb, which is dominant over a single comb, which means one of her parents has a pea comb. Do any of your hens have pea combs? (I know based on breed they shouldn't, but I'm wondering if one of them is possibly part Easter Egger)

8. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Wow, he's beautiful! But he's not a purebred Brown Leghorn. Brown Leghorns have white earlobes. But I'm not seeing any Easter Egger, either. Single comb, no muff/beard, and yellow legs rather than green or blue.

Do you have any pics of your hens?

9. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    x2

A hen can lay fertile eggs sired by the previous rooster for a month or more.

I also had two flocks this summer, one with a rooster and one without, housed about 1000 feet apart, but allowed to free range. I never saw the rooster anywhere close to the other hens, and the two flocks kept very separate, but then one of the rooster-less hens went broody on a clutch of eggs and all but one of the eggs hatched.

Another possibility, if you have a neighbor with chickens, is that one of their hens could have used one of your nest boxes.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  10. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's 2 of them, the others are off in the trees...give me a minute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by