What Is So Hard To Understand.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtsaver

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Kentucky
about the need to eliminate feral cats and wild dogs?????

On so many posts where people have lost chickens to these vermin(yes,if a once domestic animal is running wild and killing livestock or pets it is VERMIN!)there seems to be so many posters that want to "rehab" the offender or espouse a dozen reasons why it is not the offenders fault. I'm sorry folks but that is not reality! If a human came onto your property and asaulted or killed a member of your family would you call for their "rehabilitation"? Even though there is a difference between livestock/pets and your family it IS the same thing,only varying in degrees.

Come on out to the country,where people that get tired of their pets and bring them to drop where "there's plenty of room and some barns and that farmer will surely take them in" and live for a while. It will not take long to see the truth. It may not be the animals fault but it does not lessen the destruction,disease and havoc they create.

Right here within one half square mile of me there have been two instances of people moving out and leaving herds of cats behind. And I am talking HERDS. Try 60+ cats three years ago at one place and last year another place they left 25-30 cats that have turned into God only knows how many! The rabbit and quail populations have been decimated,I constantly have cats coming on our place leaving their mess in the yard and barn and trying to get into the coop. We have our own dogs and cat and there is constant watch for sickness with our pets.

The dog situation is not much better. Every few years there are packs of dogs running the area and killing calves,running down deer and destroying well made chicken coops. About every five years or so it gets so bad a bounty is put on the dog packs.

Before someone calls me heartless, I'll firmly state that I am an animal lover and have many time gotten into some pretty serious confrontations where someone was being cruel to an animal. Cruelty is a totally different discussion for another thread.

All I'm asking is that some of you take a step back and try to see things from our side of the fence. There is no such thing as a "Fort Knox" chicken coop or pasture. It gets tiresome being woke up at night by mating/fighting cats under your bedroom window. Every calf a dog pack kills may be a missed loan payment on a farm. Every stray cat has the potential to spread disease to your pets and the local wildlife population. The wild dog pack may someday attack one of your kids while they are playing in the yard.

So when one of us tells a poster that is losing their chickens to make sure their coop is as solid as possible and then Shoot,Shovel and Shut-up. Try to understand where we are coming from. It's not that we are cruel,cold-hearted bastards, we just have to deal daily with a different reality than some of you do.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Larry

Let's think about what happens to a pet dog or cat that is dropped off in the country. There are a few options.

1. It starves since it does not know how to forage in the wild. It will probably seek out human habitation since humans are the only ones that it is used to getting food from, so it can do real harm, but it will almost certainly not be adopted, not around here. Eventually it can starve to death.

2. It is eaten. I'm surprised you have not had a coyote explosion in your area since they love to eat cats and dogs so much and these pets are usually easy prey. Wildcats, feral dogs, bears, raccoons and other things can eat them, but around here it is mostly coyotes.

3. If it hangs around human habitation it will quite possibly be shot. A farmer needs to protect his domestic animals. Hopefully whoever shoots it will kill it cleanly, but that does not always happen. Sometimes they get away wounded and die a horrible death.

4. If it survives, it has to establish its own territory. That means it has to win fights with other animals that are used to killing to eat. Not pleasant.

5. A dog might be able to fight its way into a feral pack. Not likely but possible. A feral pack destroys people's livelihoods and threatens children playing outside.

Yep, real animal lovers drop their pets off in the country so their beloved pets can enjoy this good life.

Quote:
Don't get me started...
rant.gif

I agree completely. We bought a farm last year that came complete with a ferral cat population. I have spent the last year trapping and spaying/neutering as many as I can at my own expense. Not too many vets close me want to be shredded so I have to take them to a vet over an hour away. Despite my efforts I am still feeding 26 cats
hmm.png
Don't have too many rodents though, and so far they haven't hurt any chickens.

Let me add to that--neighbors who live in the country and allow their pets to roam the countryside. Hey yeah, come on over and eat my chickens. Let me get a plate and napkin for you too.

Over and over again. Too many missing to count anymore. They come from one of my neighbors but I haven't figured it out yet and I have had them come from 5 miles away (no kidding)

Your pets are no more important than mine so if you can't keep them under control and I catch them, I will.

he.gif

Yes, this is the frustrating part of "living the dream". The ones I find in time (while healthy, friendly and adoptable) get a ride to a shelter, if not they get trapped and/or shot. I am certain there is no part of Kentucky without a booming coyote population, but the problem is so big I guess even they can't eat them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom