"What IS that you're doing, rooster?"

My roo was a real pain just after he started crowing. I figured I'd kill that with kindness. I started picking him up every day and carrying him around with me while I gathered eggs and such. He didn't love it but he didn't try to peck me to death either. It didn't take too long before he would ignore me when I entered the coop. I guess he figured if he didn't come over I'd leave him alone. That was true for the most part. I still make it a point to pick him up once in a while to remind him who's boss. He will fly at me if I chase his hens but I'm always ready for it and I put my foot up in front of him. He takes one shot at my foot then if I put my foot down he is done. Good luck with your rooster. Nothing worse than a mean one. They are a lot stronger than they look!
wink.png

I have a roo that occasionally does that. This is the same roo that has no idea what "goodies" to bring me, so he does the "treat call" and starts throwing things at me...grass, bugs, rocks, ribbons or string, etc. LOL! However, he has never ever tried to flog me, or peck me. In fact, when one of our new baby roos started trying to charge me, he took him down!
celebrate.gif
But, he still dances for me and has never ever been aggressive to me or the kids.

Carry him around, love on him, and let him know you're the boss...if you're interested in keeping him. I love having a roo with my flock. He protects them, finds them treats, and makes them happy. I have one main roo for 15 girls, and none of mine are overbred and I have 100% fertility on my eggs.

If you are sure you want to get rid of him, post him on CL and you should be able to. Especially if you know his breed.

Shelly

If that's all he's doing, I don't consider that a problem. Yes, he IS 'courting' you, but if you don't submit, then he's not dominating you. My rooster courts me, brings me really special small sticks and occasionally a special little rock, I thank him (verbally) and go on my way. He courts most of the ladies, and not all of THEM submit to him, either. Well, just two of the 8.... and sometimes they do. But when they don't, he doesn't jump 'em. (He goes and finds one he CAN jump!)

If he gets a bit too familiar - once or twice he has pecked at my ankles from behind - I just turn around and stride towards him with no hesitation. I don't CHASE him, I just walk at him, making him give way. If he immediately steps aside, I still turn toward him.... We cover a few yards of ground this way until *I* decide we're done.

He's a good roo.

As already stated, don't let him do that. If that continues you will have a very large problem on your hands, as I have learned over time and with many roosters now. He is viewing you as nothing more than a hen and doing the mating dance for you. Next time he does this, quickly grab him up and tuck him under your arm. Don't let him go for awhile, even if it is inconvenient for you. You have to show him that you are the one who wear's the boots and that he is expected to respect you. He needs to view you as the head roo, not himself. I've been through many mean roosters and this is how they all started. Eventually they wouldn't even let me near the hens. The roosters I have now respect me as the head roo and don't try to bother me, which has been a nice change around here.

What breed is he? I would just like to point out that my dearest Muffin (named when I thought he was a she:)) also danced for me. But he never tried to flog or do anything more than dance for me. He greeted me in the front yard and would let me pick him up and hold him. He would also wait for a treat after he was done with his dance. I dearly miss him! He was a silkie and I don't think he had a mean bone in his body.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
My roo keeps his distance, as he should with the alpha roo. I have plenty of hens and chicks to love on. I don't need his friendship.

Quote:
There is a HUGE difference between a Silkie and a full, standard sized rooster.
wink.png
My Silkie roo and even my Bantam Salmon Faverolle roo have never scared me, but a full sized roo coming at me with all his might has been a different story. They hurt and are not fun to be flogged by.

Quote:
There is a HUGE difference between a Silkie and a full, standard sized rooster.
wink.png
My Silkie roo and even my Bantam Salmon Faverolle roo have never scared me, but a full sized roo coming at me with all his might has been a different story. They hurt and are not fun to be flogged by.

Oh I'm sure there is! Trust me, I wouldn't mess with a standard size roo. But since I didn't see what breed it was, I just wanted to ask to clarify, since everyone was assuming it was a standard. If it is a banty, it could be harmless and just wanted to point that out. But I wouldn't want a RIR dancing for me:)

This is lots of helpful info! I appreciate it!!

Like I said, part of me would really like to keep him... but in our zoning we can't have more than 8 chickens, so we can't keep him for the reason that he'll make babies (and he actually makes chicken #9 as of now)... but there's also the little tiny issue that we're not allowed roosters in our zoning as well. hehe... shh...

We were actually trying to get just hens, but got a roo in the mix.

It's hard though, because now that he's started crowing, I really like having him around because I love his crowing! LOL Like he's suddnely gained a personality.

Ah well...

Oh, and what's CL? Someone said I could post him on there?

Back
Top Bottom