What is the Best and Safest Way to Eliminate Mites?

Get a small tub (5) gallon. Mix 2 shovels of sand to 1 shovel full of wood ashes and put in tub. Let them fluff themselves in it, the ashes will kill the mites. There, no permethrin or chemicals and problem solved. Be sure and keep the tub half full of sand and ashes for it to work good. Keep the tub inside the coop, you don't want water getting in it, it has to be dry.

I use diataemacous earth, food grade, you can put some in their feed for 5 days. Do that once a month. I also, put 1 tsp. of leaf oregano in their gallon of water per day, for keeping them healthy. It works like an antibiotic and wormer too. You can do that every day as there is no harm to them. It is natural.

Do you think lice could cause a few messy bums and a couple runny poops? Or do I need to look into a possible new dewormer?
The symptoms you describe are not from external lice or mites. Maybe its the feed or it can be a parasite. As long as you dont know what is the cause it’s IMO not a good idea to give medicine. If you give the wrong medicine the chickens can get sicker instead of better. A poo investigation (vet) is a good idea.

If you want diy solutions you can use a microscope and make a study of worms in chicken poo.

Or try healthier feed (bio) , garlic in the water, herbs and grass clippings as an extra. No fruits, no left overs and such. And use DE in the feed for a week and do that again after a month.

p.s. better start a new thread in the right forum (sick/health)if you have a new question.

Last edited:
Are you sure they are mites and not lice?
If you’re asking me..I know it’s lice...but now I’m wondering if my dewormer has ‘pooped’ out on me too, at the same time...or if the lice is causing iss. We are planning to use the DE also, in conjunction with the permethrin powder...

Back
Top Bottom