what is the best auto sexing breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nickers, Mar 19, 2014.

1. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Clearly you have not looked at some of the prices of English Orpingtons. I paid $75 an egg for some of them. The price for Cream Legbars should come down. Last year I charged $35 for a pullet. This year I lowered it to $25.

Oh and don't even think about the Welbars. You have to import them from England so they can cost more than Ayam Cemani right now.

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    For bantams, look at crele old English game bantams. There are also barred partridge Wyandotte bantams I the states. Rhodebars, wybars, and welbars all come in bantam versions across the pond but I don't think they've made it here.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I would say Crele Penedesenca, they are Autosexing and produce very dark eggs, Also Welsummer would produce darker eggs too, oh and Golden Cuckoo Maran are also Autosexing and produce very dark eggs..

Not the Rarest but the Easiest to Recreate.....[​IMG] People just dont know where to start but they are trully the Easiest Autosexing to Reproduce...

the Rarest would be Gold or Silver Wybars(autosexing Wyandottes)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  4. DCchicken

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    I thought the Wybars were extinct? I guess that would make them rare. At least if you want to spend the money, Welbars can be found in England, you just have to pay to import them or recreate them.

My Bielefelders lay very dark brown eggs, easily as dark as a Barnevelder or a Welsummer but not quite dark as the Penedesenca. I was surprised at the color of the eggs. The problem with the Penedesenca is that they tend to be nervous wrecks. I am not going to move in slow motion just so that my birds don't get frightened. But that could just be the ones I have come across.

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well there are a few breeders Re-Creating the Wybars as we speak, the recreation is as simple as recreating Welbars,

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I dont think Isbars are Autosexing, I have yet to see something on their phenotype that would say otherwise

7. thanks for all the info![​IMG]but I'm looking for something specific,do you guys (and girls) have any favorites???[​IMG]

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I like the 55 Flowery Leghorns and Ancobars, they have the most sexual dimorphism of them all,

Males would look Nearly White and Females would look Barred Mottled...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.ltlantbruk.cybersite.se/ff.html

Recreating them(or the Look) is also quite straightforward

9. DCchicken

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    You are technically correct. Silverudd was working on it and some claim that it works. However, I think the blue gene messes it up. Someone should finish Silverudd's work as the Isbars are very gentle and nice chickens.

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:even without the blue genes autosexing using just chick down color would be near impossible using just ER/ER which this birds are based on, adding sexlinked barring to the mix would have made them Autosexing for sure, maybe Silverudd was about to do just that but could not continue his work?.. Breeding for Autosexable Isbars should be a simple Straightforward thing, just cross a Cream Legbar rooster to Isbar Pullets, keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars, then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to obtaint he double barred males.. Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by