What is the best breed for both egg and meat production?

Lookingforinfo

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Does anyone know what the best basic all-around breed is? I am looking at Rhode Island Red but if anyone knows of a better breed I would love to know. I live in a cool climate with fairly cold winters. I am looking for a breed that produces a very large number of eggs as well as can be used for meat though this is not as important as the egg production. I am also looking for a self-sufficient flock (not having to buy chicks later), I don't know if this is a factor to consider. Thank you.

M.

Last edited:
RIR lay well, not huge meaty birds, but better than chewing leghorn bones.

Barred Rocks might be a good option too, maybe not quite as good egg wise but a little plumper for meat. They can be broody which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want. Good winter breed less comb to freeze than a RIR.

Hybrids like ISA Browns or Red Sex Links might not be good if you want to be independant of buying chicks. Certainly their eggs will hatch but what you get might not be all that great.

Unfortunatly having a great laying meat bird is a bit like wanting a pick up truck and a sports car all in one, it has been done but the result is something that ends up inferior at both jobs.

When looking at the feed dollars it is likely best just to get good layers and order a few X Rocks once or twice a year for meat. The older layers can go in the soup pot just the same.

If you want something neat Chanteclairs or however it is spelled might be a great option, fairly big and well breasted for meat and good winter tolerant layers. They will be harder to find though.

Last edited:
I'm finding EEs rather slow maturing and some get hit and miss with the laying. But there is a huge amount of variety in EEs so I guess generalization are not all that valid.

Faverolles might be an option, good chunky birds that mature quickly and lay well. They are an older breed but I have herd some of the recent show breeding has killed some of the original utility.

I like both my Marans and my Delawares by far the better layer is a Dellie mine laid well even in the heat by 22 to 28 weeks they are a nice roaster size but the Marans dressed out well too those dark eggs just take longer.....

Back
Top Bottom