What is the best broody and mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
x4, I only have one silky but she was the BEST Mom I could want - and she's a virgin. After she near starved herself for a month brooding infertile eggs I broke down and bought her two chicks. Shoved them under her at night and she was proud as a peacock the next day. She mothered them faithfully and about a week after they'd 'weaned' (is there a special word for poultry offspring leaving the mother?) themselves she went broody again. She's surely not a show quality Silkie, she looks like a dinosaur, but she so sweet we love her.

SHE'S IN THE MIDDLE, THE BLACK ONE.
66211_trio.jpg

WITH HER BABIES:
66211_100_2412.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
x4, I only have one silky but she was the BEST Mom I could want - and she's a virgin. After she near starved herself for a month brooding infertile eggs I broke down and bought her two chicks. Shoved them under her at night and she was proud as a peacock the next day. She mothered them faithfully and about a week after they'd 'weaned' (is there a special word for poultry offspring leaving the mother?) themselves she went broody again. She's surely not a show quality Silkie, she looks like a dinosaur, but she so sweet we love her.

SHE'S IN THE MIDDLE, THE BLACK ONE.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66211_trio.jpg

WITH HER BABIES:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66211_100_2412.jpg

What a sweet story!

Every bantam cochin hen I have went broody this spring and they all are raising chicks. I only have one silkie hen who also went broody shes a dingbat. Shes young this is her first spring she doesn't seem to be as protective and watchful of the babies as the cochins are. I took her 2 chicks away and gave them to a cochin hen. I'm sure that silkies in general are great momma hens mines a dingbat.

My big blue wyandotte is almost always broody -- at least twice a year based on my records. She looks like a big blue poofy beach ball and she's also the dominant hen in our flock. She is a huge eater, but not a frequent layer. Right now she's fostering 2 baby chicks, due to the fact she was going on her 3rd month being broody. I couldn't break her, so I decided to get some chicks and have her move on with her life. And life with chicks couldn't agree with her more; she lifted her wings and adopted them the moment she saw the first fuzzy head!

She is a quiet and easy to handle bird. Haven't had a Cochin, but I think she has nearly the same round shape.

Silkies. may not be the brightest light in the attick but make great broodies an mommas!!
(theres a post on here where a woman had a Silkie go broody on a LEMON)

Hahaha
big_smile.png
the lemon!! I had a silkie that adopted any egg she could steal, and defended those chicks to the death, literally. As for larger breed mommies we had a great black astralorp, and a buff orpington. Both sat well and took pretty good care of the chicks. But nothing like the silkie! She seemed to love her chicks, it was amazing
smile.png

I almost forgot! Our silkie hatched a goose egg
smile.png
Just for fun we threw a goose egg in while she was sitting and it actually worked. We were shocked!! She raised that goose as best she could, but it got big pretty quick, and all the other chickens were afraid of it
lol.png
So her goose left home early, but she was so determinded to be a good mother. Too bad more humans aren't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom