What is the best Egg Candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicksinFL, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    My girls went from just wanting to do Chicken 4H books this year to also doing egg and chick for the 8 yr old and Embryology for the 15 yr old. We tried to make our own candler and it didn't turn out well, so we've been using the brightest flash light app for my android phone. It's working good but I'd like something better for our next set of eggs when they will start their project books.

So I was looking for opinions about the best egg candler?

THANKS in advance to everyone who replies be sure I'll be sitting here reading. My girls and I are learning so much from this site and others that we've been reading nonstop lately. Just by seeing what others are doing we get a good idea of what we can try for our own small but growing flock of chickens.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

I am currently using a small but bright LED flashlight.

[​IMG]

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use my 7 year old daughter's Disney Princess LED flashlight from Walmart. It's surprisingly bright and only cost a couple bucks.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have an OvaScope High Intensity egg scope.. LOVE it! [​IMG]

Used it on some tiny lil coturnix quail eggs.. and used my cell phone to take pics

showing hairline cracks:
    [​IMG]
    egg before incubation:
    [​IMG]

5. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    So with the OvaScope, the egg goes into a compartment and you peek through the scope??

Interesting.

[​IMG]

6. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I use a small LED flashlight too, works brilliantly. [​IMG]

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not flashy [​IMG]. I use a rechargeable spotlight. Then I cut a hole in a cardboard lid and find a dark closet.

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:it also enlarges the image.. which makes viewing veins and embryos MUCH easier

RudeeA likes this.
  9. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    The Ovascope is what I was looking at thinking it would be easier for the girls to capture images onto their laptops using their webcams so they can then use the images in their project books or presentations at fair or clubs.

I do have a rechargable spotlight maybe I'll try that or snatch hubby's little flash light out of his work bag (he's a fire fighter/paramedic and keeps one on his helmet) and see what works best.

Any tips on taking photos of your candled eggs without the ovascope? Also anyone know if it's okay to do a quick candle every day or every other day?

10. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I like fancy new toys!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by