What is the best egg laying hens out of these breeds?

They sure like to gossip too!

hey%20who%20you%20looking%20at%20Small%20800.jpg

I have several leghorn hens and they are laying machines. I would recommend getting a combination of all three. I am going to order some sex-link pullets and white leghorn pullets next month from ideal poultry. My sister has a mixed flock of hens and her leghorn hens seem calm compared to my hens.

Hey Fushalilly,
Where in RI are you? I live right by the Jamestown Bridge. I hand raised a leghorn from 1 day old to about 3 months. She was the most flighty of all the 8 types of chickens (12 in all) we had. I gave her to my brother-in-law (along with 7 others). I hear she is a very good layer.

I recommend getting chicks, they are so absolutely adorable when they are balls of fluff and they really do get to know you.

Kay

Yes I didn't think about the beak trimming and the leghorns will be a little flighty.Mine are somewhat.

Ok I've never had leghorns EXCEPT for the 2 we got from this guy in Arkansas nearby, we got our 2 dominques from him too, but the leghorns had just started laying everyday & very consistent, still are, the one we have left (fox got 1 :( so that stunk)

It really just all depends on how you raise them I think --- I mean kinda just like dogs, every breed has its traits but there are gonna be exceptions...b/c this guy raised these leghorns & they would fly up on his shoulder & they were just the sweetest babies like lil pets, as my whitey still is :) She's my favorite chicken now & lays double yolkers alot too; but the bad thing is with them - they don't blend in to our backyard very well, so free-ranging them makes me nervous, b/c I'm afraid we'll loose her :(

Hi there,

My leghorn laid almost every day, even through winter. She was a total "spaz" though, and I stopped trying to retrieve her from my 7' fence. I have had three rounds of Golden Comets and they were all great layers, really friendly, and curious. For white egg production = leghorn, for brown eggs = NHR or RIR, and an honorable mention for the GC's.

I'm contemplating getting leghorns, and keep hearing about how flighty they are, but what's the problem about clipping their wings? Won't that keep them from making a jail break?

I just got 7 leghorns and they are laying machines, but they are the dirtiest birds, and their eggs are constantly dirty. I can't keep the nest clean! I don't make pets of mine, and they are not all that flighty, but not friendly, but they always look so dirty.

I have ordered Delawares for the spring, and am worried that I won't like those white chickens either, but the leghorns seem to pick up manure and dirt

MrsK

Leghorns and Sex Links are very high production egg layers; Yet, we have Buff Orp's and RIR and Plymoth Rocks. These are mild mannered birds and better to withstand the Hot/Cold climates. We get nearly an egg per hen per day (brown eggs)!

woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom