What is the best feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, May 22, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    My Barred Rocks pullets are now about 6 Weeks old and are eating me out of house and home. I am noticing a lot of feed being pecked out onto the floor. Has anyone out there a good recommendation of a hanging feeder that prevents waste? If you have a hanging feeder ( make, model, distributor, etc.) I would love to hear from you.

2. 1776

1776 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    it's pretty easy to make one yourself out of a bucket and a planter pot dish... i made one the other week... i googled chicken feeder, or auto feeder and saw some pics and instructions to make one... it works pretty good imo... check it out...

3. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    I made one of those bucket feeders - it didn't help - they pecked and pecked until they emptied it in about 24 hours. 90% was in the bedding! Thinking they would starve, I refilled the bucket.

Then we got 4-legged furry critters in the coop, and I researched and finally learned not to feed them in the coop. We give them (I have 5 girls) a scoop (about 3 cups) each morning in the run. We don't renew it until most of it is gone - maybe every other day. They will eat different seeds at different times (I make my own feed with a variety of seeds) and they free range. They are big and healthy and great layers, and I'm finally saving a ton of money on feed!

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    We use a regular feeder ( large plastic one I paid 15 bucks for, but I hang it so it's neck level, my chcks can not poop in it or scatter it. It's been great. But when I had the feeder on the floor of the brooder they made a terrible mess, and also the coop. Hang your feeder it will save you lots of hassles

Last edited: May 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by