what is the best Hatchery to order from?

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
Okay I have a Mc Murray catalog, and we have been thinking about ordering several different breeds of chicks from them. I was wondering what ya all thought about Mc murray's and if you guys had any problems with them. I was also wondering what are the names of some other hatcheries out there. I like that Mcmurray has a huge selection of different breeds, is there another one with more of a selection? All around what hatchery do you guys think is the best? I want to get your guys honest opinion, dont be shy. I am curious to see what the best loved hatchery is.

I have used McMurray and had a great experience! I have also used Murray Hatchery. There is also Ideal and mypetchicken that people ues. You can get any of their websites from google.

We had very good results form Cackle They shipped when they said they would and they arrived on time. We also requested that they put our phone number on the box so the PO could call us and they did. We used yahoo and just asked for poultry hatcheries and a whole list came up We chose the one that had geese available as that was what we wanted at the time but that way you can choose the closest one to your home. Micki

Everyone has their own preferences, based on their particular experiences. My MM chicks were healthy, calm, friendly and were good examples of their breeds. All arrived healthy, none died during transit or brooding and the sexing rate was 100% for mine. I thought they were all beautiful.

I was supposed to be splitting an order of chicks from MM this year, but the woman placing the order decided to change at the last minute and ordered from Ideal. The Ideal chicks arrived in poor condition. The woman that picked up the order had to give them sugar water with an eye dropper. They pulled through, but mine were not very active the first 24 hours. After that, they have been the most hyper chickens I've ever had. Now that they're feathering out, half of them are not even the right color and look like mutts. You can probably guess that I will never get chickens from Ideal again.
wink.png

I ordered 25 females from McMurray and all arrived safely & happy first thing on a Monday morning. Did get one rooster though that I had to swap out.

i have had two orders from Ideal now...my birds ROCK! Had a problem with the PO taking too long to deliver the first order and i lost 4 of the babies but Ideal were awesome about refunding the money/crediting it toward my next order.

Quote:
Oh no!! Don't tell me that!! My new guys are 4 weeks and came from Ideal...actually they were the healthiest chicks I've ever gotten...but I hope they are not mutts...

Anyone-
How do you tell if a Turken is pure blood or not??

Ayway, Alleyoops25 MM is really great, especially if you want variety. They're online service is hands down the best and I've always gotten healthy chicks. Have lost maybe one in transit out of 3 different orders and have lost some later due to poopy bums. Don't expect them to be SQ though....

Edited to add: I really did like my experience with Ideal. The chicks and ducklings arrived on time, all healthy and happy. I've lost one duck to unknown reasons at 4 days old, but everyone else is thriving. No sticky poo bums or sneezing, just healthy. I would definitely recommend them
smile.png
I don't think my chicks are mutts, maybe the Turkens, but all I care about is if they have the naked neck gene or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are Faverolles pullets, 4 1/2 weeks old. One has a solid black breast, although the rest of the coloring is that of a Salmon Faverolles pullet. Another had solid white wings, then some orange feathers with black dots came in, now they're mixed with some salmon feathers, which is the color they should be. That sort of thing. They've all lost their baby muffs and beards, but haven't grown any adult muffs or beards, yet. I'm hoping that will change, as they continue to feather out.

Looking at the bright side, these are so spazzy that they'd probably be great at free ranging, unlike my previous Faverolles. And since they all look totally different, even my husband can tell them apart. When he tells me a chick story and I ask which chick it was, he says it was "the black one" "the one with white wings" "one of the ones that looks the most like a Faverolles" etc.

I really have no idea how they'll end up as adults, either in behavior or color. Time will tell.

I'm glad you asked this. I was consider Ideal because it seems to be the only one that doesn't have a 3 chick or more minimum. I only want two.

I ordered mine through Meyer Hatchery. They don't have quite the selection of Mcmurray, but they do have a decent selection and are cheaper especially if you buy multiples of the same type. My chicks are going on 5 weeks old, they were all healthy, and active on arrival, no fatalities - everyone is growing well and they seemed to be 100% on the sexing of my chicks. I plan on using them again in the future.

Website is: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/

Back
Top Bottom