What is the best heated water bowl?

Pics
Better ask your parents then, doubt they'll appreciate a burst pipe. I had a pipe burst one winter in the garage simply because we didn't insulate the spigot.
Burst pipe is no bueno. I worked at a home for people with intellectual disabilities and had to stay over on midnights because we got snowed in. It was 10 below out and their water heater was in the garage. Didn't think to put the faucets on a slow drip to prevent freezing. Next thing I know in my sleep deprived delirium I heard water gushing in the garage. Since it wasnt my house I had no idea how to turn off the water. Embarrassingly enough I called 911 and the operator talked me through it. We were without running water until 1 pm because of the repairs needed.

We use a pipe heater?? (It's a thing you wrap around a pipe and it uses a thermometer to keep the water in the pipe from freezing) wrapped around the outside of a five gallon bucket with nipples. Used it all winter and never froze even with getting down to the teens. I think there are tutorials online, but not sure which ones we used. We did slide just the side of another bucket over the heater and bucket so the chickies wouldn't get burned. It does require an extension cord though. I'm not using it right now (not cold enough yet) so I don't have a pic. Before that I used two gravity waterers and carried one with hot water out every morning. It still froze overnight but that didn't matter as they were sleeping. I just had to get out bright and early the next morning.😆

Would love to see this, maybe take pics when you set it up this winter?
Found some pics on google so you can see right away. Also it is called heat tape I think? Prob a hardware store could tell you lol. Hope this helps some☺️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200923-111451.png
    Screenshot_20200923-111451.png
    611.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20200923-111439.png
    Screenshot_20200923-111439.png
    614.2 KB · Views: 14
This is my current watering system I built. I want to find a way to continue using it this winter as it is easy to fill since it is outside the coop. I am thinking of using a submersible heater in the bucket and heated pipe tape for the pipe that has the nipples on it. My only worry is the chickens tearing the pipe tape off.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
It is cooling down and I am starting to look at options to use to water my chickens in the winter without freezing. I need one that is pretty deep and also heavy enough that they can't knock it over. Battery operated would be great but I can run extension cords.

I haven't had to use a heater yet this year but plan on using a heated dog bowl too (because I already have one).
My plan is to use a gallon water bottle with a hole at the bottom to gravity feed inside the bowl to release water as needed.
1. To allow a bit more water to be available before running out
2. To prevent anyone from getting in the water bowl because it reduces surface area (can add appropriate sized rock around the edge to further reduce area
3. Easy to see levels

***Sometimes there are days when it just freezes overnight and a heater is not needed all the time, I just fill a gallon jug with hot water set it in the bowl of water and leave the heater off. Is good to go overnight. If you bring a new gallon of hot water every night just use the previous one to rinse and refill bowl, set hot water jug in water bowl and take the other in the house to refill for the next night.

Some bottles are roundish like a milk jug but some water bottles are squareish and taller, just get the one that fits your bowl best.

I do something similar with the horses water on overnight freezes, just float a couple of water jugs full of hot water in the tank and that's enough to get through the night. Saves $$ :)

My plan is to use a gallon water bottle with a hole at the bottom to gravity feed inside the bowl to release water as needed.
1. To allow a bit more water to be available before running out
2. To prevent anyone from getting in the water bowl because it reduces surface area (can add appropriate sized rock around the edge to further reduce area
3. Easy to see levels
Sounds like a great plan to me!
Please do post pics when you've tried it.

I bet a vinegar bottle would be perfect, it's what I use to carry water out to coop and they are tough, have used the same one for 6-7 years now.

We ended up buying the TSC heated fount from Farm Innovators. We got the 2 year warranty on it to be safe. I'll let you all know how it goes this winter. So far I can say its made with very flimsy plastic and you can only fill it through a small hole in the bottom. If its not perfectly level it leaks and the handle is very flimsy to the point that its almost just for looks. I had hoped to hang it from the handle but I dont recommend it. If it fails we will get our refund and replace it with a different one. I wanted to get the K & H one but it was more $ and I couldnt get a warranty

Back
Top Bottom