What is the best incubator that is fairly cheap?

we just stepped up to the hovabator genesis, we also have our early spring model- the LG with turner and fan.

The LG, we keep in the closet and we were successful. As recommended- we practice the dry incubation method, we also tape the sides shut during lockdown.

fully loaded, they are about the same money- I'd go with the hovabator genesis- I like the way it is put together better.

I would really recommend the Genesis 1588. It's a little bit out of your price range (about $190 shipped, including a turner), but it's an AWESOME incubator, and very well worth the extra money. I've used nothing but Little Giant 9200s in the past couple years (hate them), but then bought 2 more incubators to use this spring. I got a 2362N and a Genesis 1588. I LOVE the Genesis. It returns the highest and most reliable hatch rates, with a LOT less baby-sitting. I've used it three times so far, and every time I got 90+% hatch rates on the fertile eggs (compared to my other bators, who got 35-75% hatch rates on the fertile eggs, with eggs from the same parents). I will never again buy any other kind of table-top incubator. I'm kinda disappointed in my 2362N. It's been just as finicky as my LGs.
hmm.png

I got the Brinsea ECO 20 with turner for under $200. I had 13 out of 14 hatch my first time. The only one that did not hatch was a pourous egg. I heard it cheeping in there, but it did not make it out. Maybe I should have helped.
I have set my second bunch of eggs yesterday am. Hoping for a good hatch rate.

tape the sides shut during lockdown..........hhmmm......awesome idea........now do i have the will power to do it.......Hmmmm.....no way..will never work.... I will go insane first.....On another note...LG's make good (not great) hatchers but not the best incubators.... Hova bators are loved my MOSTLY everybody...the 1588 is just about idiot proof as you can get in a table top incubator...with turner it shoud be about 160-180....but will hatch most poultry and has a great resale value....if you have the willpower to sell one.... I'm not strong enough...sigh.....

You could build a realy nice bator for that price, the thermostat is about $27 & the light kit for about $10, & what ever you wanted to build it out of, they work good.

You could check out the hatch alongs and see which incubators contribute to good hatches. While you are reading up on them, you may want to notice which methods work well in which incubator -- dry hatch vs other methods. Personally I think the time, hopes and quality of eggs is more expensive than the incubator itself, but, I too had the same monetary amount, so I went with the Brinsea Eco and am delighted with it.

I agree with the comments on the LG...I am just finishing an unsuccessful hatch with an LG still air with a turner. It could have been a number of factors that created the issues, but I think the LG may be a big part of it. It seemed stable until the end. I just received my Brinsea Eco 20 w/ turner. $150, plus $37 shipping. I cringed on the shipping bigtime, but I received the Brinsea today and am really excited! I will likely split my new order of eggs in half and try some in each to compare (though some are guineas so it will be staggered).

i got a hovabator 1602n with turner for 79 bucks on ebay and i took the fan out of my old puter and added it!! This is my first hatch but everything has ran smoothly so far it kept temp and humidity right on track through the whole process!! I think with it all said and done with shipping it was around 129 bucks! it was brand new and in the box so i thts my story! (went into lockdown today)

Last edited:
Brinsea has the Eco 20 on sale right now for $99, and there is a code on the Brinsea facebook site to get another 10% off, but I think it's only good until the 15th. The turner ends up being around $40 (?) so I think with shipping I paid $171. They really nail you on shipping.. like $38 or something. I've gotten between 22-24 LF eggs in there, and I LOVE it. It's reliable, easy to clean, does it's job, and I never have to worry about it.

Just need to find that Brinsea in a human male form now
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom