1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kjxoxo1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I've just read about poulet or chicken rangers. In your opinion ( I'm aa newbie) what is the best tasting meat bird that can be raaised and butchered in 8-10 weeks? Thanks bunches in advance for responses. Aall opinions welcomed!! Plus please add where you purchase. Thanks!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For a good sized bird in 8 weeks, I don't think the cornish cross can be beat, though I do admit that I haven't tried raising freedom rangers. I have raised red broilers and didn't care for them as they took a much longer time to get to size and I had a bunch of crowing cockerels to deal with weeks before they were big enough to process.

3. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Cornish x is probably the only choice for a big carcass in 8-10 weeks. That is all I grow to eat.

Darin

4. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks so much for your responses.......I've raised my first ones (Cornishx) and now I'm wondering as well do I need to invest in a plucking machine? We will raise our own chickens to eat.....no more store bought for us!!! That's the goal at least. [​IMG]. I guess I will carry on with the Cornish x.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    In 8 weeks? Your only options are Cornish Cross chickens or Pekin ducks.

6. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Quote:Or Coturnix quail or utility pigeons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by