What is the best roost material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hosspak, Oct 4, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I have round wooden closet rods roosts. The flock seems to like them but I've seen different opinions on BYC. Please, learn me stuff...[​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I've seen people you branches or posts. We use 2x4s and that seems to work fine. We were lucky enough to have lots of scrap material and we have just been adding roosts and boxes as our flock grows. The birds aren't picky, Just whatever you have!

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Seeing you are in CA I think your roosts are fine. I recommend the 2x4 flat side up for chickens that are kept in very cold climates. This allows the birds to fully cover their feet and keep them warm..
    I know others in cold climates use the round type roosts with now problems however.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Based on what I see my girls perch on during the day while they free range, I would say wider is better. A closet rod is much smaller than the 5 inch poles the girls prefer. In their coop they get a 3 inch tree trunk. In other coops, they get 4 inch planks to sit on. Gives them stability, rests the feet, and they can warm their feet under their body.

I let the chickens tell me what they wanted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by