What is the best treatment for Salpingitis infection?

Is she able to walk and get around to food and water? Have you tried giving calcium to her? Calcium citrate with d3 is very good, about 600 mg daily, and can help pass an egg or lash egg. Salpingitis can be acute or chronic, and some hens can live awhile with it. Some of mine would stop laying on their own, and live a few more years. When I lose a hen, I always do a home necropsy to look for what was causing their illness. Cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites have been common findings.

Is she able to walk and get around to food and water? Have you tried giving calcium to her? Calcium citrate with d3 is very good, about 600 mg daily, and can help pass an egg or lash egg. Salpingitis can be acute or chronic, and some hens can live awhile with it. Some of mine would stop laying on their own, and live a few more years. When I lose a hen, I always do a home necropsy to look for what was causing their illness. Cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites have been common findings.
She walks fine (she keeps her head pulled in a bit), eats and drinks and runs out into the chicken yard with everyone. She’s still talkative and skinny. She seems to have plateaued after the Penicillin injections. She has not roosted all week and sleeps in one of the floor nesting boxes. It’s not ideal. My young pullets are due to start laying anytime and I worry about her contaminating the nesting boxes.
My hens all get a rest in the fall/winter to molt and replenish their bodies. Oyster shell available all year around. I have some powdered calcium with D3 from our gecko, think that will work?

I also do home necropsies. The one time I had multiple deaths I sent one to the state lab. I always want to find out what they died from too.

Back
Top Bottom