Hen eats and drinks but doesn’t act “normal”

b-lane

Hatching
Aug 3, 2023
My year old leg bar has me stumped! The first thing I checked for was to see if she was egg bound because it’s happened to her before. She wasn’t egg bound but she felt skinny in her bath. I offered snacks (egg yolk, blueberries) and she ate them with no issues. She eats and drinks but her feathers are a little ruffled and she’s not as “active.” She has a very pale comb and lost her balance today so it has me worried that she may be super weak from something I’m not catching. I checked her for lice mites and ticks and she’s clear from that. The only issues she’s had in the past is bumblefoot and being egg bound. Can sour crop do this? Her crop felt squishy but not huge. I could clearly feel food in there but that’s not something I’ve ever dealt with. I plan on checking her before they all go into the run in the morning. She’s had electrolytes Incase it’s the heat, stool seemed normal matching their diet no worms. I’m extremely stumped and just wanted to know if there is something I could be missing to check for.

Attachments

• C7EEC1FD-BDFD-40C3-A213-6B123A9118D4.jpeg
    C7EEC1FD-BDFD-40C3-A213-6B123A9118D4.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 4
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

I'd continue offer her the electrolytes, it could be heat exhaustion.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, if it isn't, then address that symptom according to the article below. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her back end looks bad off too. Yesterday she seemed better today not so much. Last night my barnevelder rooster died I think from the same thing. She was doing better so I thought so she went back with the others and He’s been acting normal until I saw he didn’t go into the coop last night and was hanging out with her in the run for bed time. So I went to bring both of them in and he died as I was setting up. I have chairs in my coop and run and everything I’m out there everyday I don’t know how this has all creeped up on me. I just hope it’s sour crop and I’m not wasting time treating her for the wrong thing. I have no idea what they could’ve gotten into to cause it.

Her back end looks bad off too. Yesterday she seemed better today not so much. Last night my barnevelder rooster died I think from the same thing. She was doing better so I thought so she went back with the others and He’s been acting normal until I saw he didn’t go into the coop last night and was hanging out with her in the run for bed time. So I went to bring both of them in and he died as I was setting up. I have chairs in my coop and run and everything I’m out there everyday I don’t know how this has all creeped up on me. I just hope it’s sour crop and I’m not wasting time treating her for the wrong thing. I have no idea what they could’ve gotten into to cause it.
If you have vet care, that would be best. We are not vets here.

I'm sorry you lost your rooster. Any chance they have eaten anything moldy, rancid or toxic?

Wash up her dirty bum and get a good look to make sure there's no maggots.

Since you lost the rooster, if you lose her, it would be a good idea to have a necropsy through your state lab to find out what's going on with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom