What is the best type of bird for an inside pet for a child?

Also keep in mind the larger the parrot, the longer lived then tend to be. Research the lifespan of any bird you get. Even a parakeet might live beyond her high school years-who's taking care of the bird when she moves out/leaves for college?

I vote parakeet/budgie too! I have never met one I didn't like. I have met many that couldn't be handled, but those were the faults of the owners. The birds themselves were always sweet in the cages, fun to watch and a joy to listen to in the morning as they wake up and sing.

Cockateils, I have met good and bad. They seem more iffy to me and seem like they need a bit more attention. Definately not on the same level as the larger birds, but still more then the parakeets.

Here is where I go to talk all things budgie related:

http://talkbudgies.com/forum.php

I vote parakeet/budgie too! I have never met one I didn't like

I have never met a MALE parakeet I didn't like. Females, it can go one way or the other. Some of them are evil little wenches, and I have the scars to prove it.

A hand-tamed boy will be a fantastic little friend.​

I also say it a hand-raised bird most for the pet store bite. My mom raised both parakeet or cockatiel when I was a kid. I had a cockatiel that talked all day really cool pet. I never go one of the parakeets to talk. I would go with a hand-raised cockatiel if it was me. Good luck

Lovebirds are good birds that can have quite the personality. I don't know if they can talk, but they are a bigger size than a parakeet. Good luck, I hope your daughter enjoys her new bird.
jumpy.gif

My favorite birds i had as pets was conure's , Lovebird's, but my absolute favorite bird as a pet (small bird that is) was a male and a female pigeon they were SO COOL i could like walk in the park and they would sit on my shoulder and it is very cool to watch a dove sit on a nest and hatch out her babies too but. But if you did not mind getting a medium size bird that talks African Greys are so nice same with Quacker parrots, Goodluck

PS I would not in ANY WAY Reccommend cockatiels or parakeets

Keets can't talk??!! We had one that said "Pretty Bird", "Pretty Pete" and another one that just yelled my brothers name "KERRY!!!!!" They would sit on our shoulders, give kisses, walk on top the dog, sit on top my dad's paper and then scoot down and share his fried eggs! I can remember a bird being in the house from the time I was very little.

A friend has a Love Bird. I can't remember if he talks but he does walk up her arm, gives kisses, takes treats and takes a bath in the sink, lol. He lets you know when it's time for his "berries" at lunch. She has numerous birds and always gives people the same suggestions. Don't buy a bird from the petshop. These are mass bred and you have no idea what kind of funky stuff they are bring home. Get a bird that is hand-rasied.

Have you picked one yet

Quote:
i have 5 kid's ages 13 and under. we have raised/bred- cockatiels, budgies, finches, doves, lovebirds, fancy pigeons and parakeets over the years. i have to agree with aaron. by far the best has been our frillback pigeons and i'd definately reccomend pigeons above the others. i keep my pigeons inside they r quiet unless it is mateing time and by far the cleanest and friendliest of birds i have raised. if it doesn't have a mate it will bond with your daughter and be her bestfriend. although they can't talk they r wonderful loveing pets and would make an awesome first pet. they come in many sizes, breeds/colors ect. i've never had mine bite me but while on eggs they will wing slap ya,lol. here is a few of my pigeons. i've never met a male or female yet i didn't like and usually u can get them alot cheaper than most other birds. they r called frillbacks due the the curled feathers on the backs of their wings. some pigeons r bred to do flips in the air and different tricks depending on the breeds, some r homers and racers it's pretty neat. my kid's love my pigeons wished id of gotten them years ago and they r very easy to care for.

no matter what kind of bird u decide to get i wish you and your daughter the best and please post a pic of her with her new baby she get's to love and spoil! love to see what she decides to get.
silkie

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom