What is the best way to "dispatch" of raccoons and other predators?

I don't know if it's an option where you are, but what my parents do when they catch raccoons or opossums in their traps is they take them across the river and then release them. That way, nobody's killing anything, and it seems fairly effective in keeping them away. We almost never have raccoons or opossums around anymore.

Now for coyotes, I vote for the most painful, violent way possible, ideally with a bunch of their stupid little coyote friends watching. Grrrrrrrr. Sorry--my parents lost 2 chickens today, one of which was my 2nd-favorite rooster.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ahem... don't say that too loudly around here. (Stage whisper) Controversial.

That happened to me too once, with a big raccoon. And it was the Hav-a-Hart trap that can be folded up for "easy storage". The wire mesh is lighter & more flexible, and once I lifted the trap the bottom bowed down, giving the raccoon just enough room to squeeeeeze itself out. Perhaps it's possible for that to happen with the other trap designs too, but it seems more likely with those foldable ones. Either way, it's better to play it safe & secure the trap doors before moving it.

Be VERY CAREFUL to keep your fingers away from the sides where the critter could bite or scratch you!

Quote:
My sicko husband typed that in without my knowledge. He was reading the responses to me while I was doing the dishes and when he came to that one, I said, "Who in the world wrote that?!!!" I ran over to the computer and when I saw my name all I could think was, "I didn't write that!" It took a moment for my husband's laughter to penetrate and for me to realize that he was the culprit. Sorry everybody. That was not me!

I was kind of wondering if tou had gone to the dark side.
wink.png

Quote:
Ahem... don't say that too loudly around here. (Stage whisper) Controversial.

Controversial, usually illegal and not very humane for the animal. Animals released in strange territory disrupt the balance and have to fight with and compete with the existing population. It also spreads disease. I read a humane society report that said that as many as 90 percent of relocated predators suffer and die. Not to mention that a predator that has gotten used to preying on domestic animals will seek out similar prey and end up in somebody else's yard so the problem is just passed to someone else. Most raccoons can travel miles to find a place to settle. Please don't relocate unless you are working through a wildlife rescue or management group that has a working knowledge of the animal population of the release area.

Quote:
My sicko husband typed that in without my knowledge. He was reading the responses to me while I was doing the dishes and when he came to that one, I said, "Who in the world wrote that?!!!" I ran over to the computer and when I saw my name all I could think was, "I didn't write that!" It took a moment for my husband's laughter to penetrate and for me to realize that he was the culprit. Sorry everybody. That was not me!

Lol good to hear. I was begining to wonder if there was a relation to Norman Bates....
lau.gif

Quote:

I was kind of wondering if tou had gone to the dark side.
wink.png

roll.png
Men...they never grow up. My husband is always trying to "get me"!

Quote:
Yes a pellet gun will go through an raccoons skull. I trap and Ive put many foxes, coyotes, and raccoons out with a .177 and .22 pellet gun. If its a .177 make sure its 1000fps or over, and if its a .22 make sure its 800fps or over. Mind that this is all done under 5ft from the animal, and with a perfect shot behind the ear.

~Bryan

I have been trapping and removing predators from my property lately. I have one of the havaheart traps and will let you know the 2nd night I had it set out it was tripped and nothing in it. After a few days of this (and an opossum later) I went out to try and figure out what was tripping the trap without getting caught in it. Apparently the 2nd night I had it set I caught a coon and the lovely little critter took off the metal clasps on the back wall of the trap, not noticeable unless you get right ontop of the trap but it allows the coon to squeeze out. I took LOTS of zip ties and made a temporary fix for the broken back wall, in fact I used zip ties all around the back wall even tho only one side was "fixed" by the coon. Next night, I had a coon in the trap. Now last night I caught another lil buggar. When I got up this am he was eating my zip ties and had already taken my handles and the guard plate off the top of the trap. I work at a vet and actually had some leftover anti anxiety type pills I had for one of my dogs the first time we went on a long road trip. She didn't need them and so I had them sitting around. I gave the coon a half a tablet in a piece of bread and it has zonked him enough he stopped bothering my trap. I was going to have to wait til tomorrow for my normal person to come get the coon and since he was tearing my trap up SO much (yes, def a boy this one . . .its obvious) one of the drs I work for gave me a stronger sedative in a dose that would knock most dogs out and some euth solution so that I could give the coon a humane way out. Let me tell you, this stronger drug and 3 ace tablets later, the coon is hungover but still well awake. So, no euth solution for him but I am hoping he will stay hung over long enough for my normal coon dispatcher to get here Saturday. . . .

Anyways, long story short. . . don't be surprised if coons make mincemeat out of your trap . . . nasty lil buggars

Quote:
I don't like the havaheart traps that much. A fellow member has chicken killing critter that has been forcing the door open on her havaheart. So I let her borrow my trap.

This is the squirrel size version. The coon/fox size is a similar design.
I don't know what brand it is.

23869_chicks_027.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom