What is the best way to hang this waterer? (pic included)

Momaha

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Sooner Nation WWHQ
83267_waterer.jpg

Would a macrame plant hanger to the appropriate height do the trick or what has worked well?

I ask because my chicks keep jumping on it and it's become a glorified toilet. I have it up on bricks at their back height and that helps.

Thanks!

I'd drill a couple of holes in the top of it, and run some wire through it to hang it, or you could "bolt" on some type of chain to hang it. That will really help, getting it up where they cannot poo in it. I've been hanging the feeder to, so that they aren't scattering everything out of it. Bought one of those cheap 4' plant hooks at Dollar General, and it seems to work for the feed. I don't think it would be strong enough for the water though. Its pretty flimsy.

I don't know what they call them but when I used to use a waterer like that, I used a pipe securing ring from the hardware store. They have a screw-in tightener on the side so I was able to make it very tight and it worked great. I tied wire to each side and it held up like a charm. I really think you would be better off with a waterer that takes less time to clean and easier to fill/maintain. The waterers like the one you have end up being a lot of work - grow green stuff quick, get a lot of dirt/poop in them, plus they take up a lot of space. Chicken waterer cups are up against the wall and out of the way and the small cups do not collect much dirt plus are easy to clean, just swipe your finger through and they are clean.
I would stick with what you have, just don't get more of them and if it ends up being a pain, upgrade.

It will also make it very difficult to fill unless you cut a hole in the top for that, which will let in more dirt/poop and like jmagill said - keep it from working properly.

I made a cone for a chick waterer similar to this, I used some thin plastic (About the thickness of a 2 liter drink bottle) Cut it to form a cone and Duc taped it together.Then you just fit it on the top and they have a hard time sitting on it. You may have to tape it to the waterer at first so they dont knock it off.

Quote:
They have yet to slosh it and maybe that comes in time. They're 4 weeks old now. I have three bricks placed side by side then three more on top of that but running the opposite direction. It's very stable and just barely above the height of their back. My next move was going to cinder blocks as they got bigger. I had read a few threads reporting that if it was hanging then they would be less inclined to jump on it. I have seen a similar waterer that has a built in handle on top for hanging and maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy one of those.

I do like hennyannie's idea and need to think that through with the materials I have.

To avoid drilling any holes or anything....and to avoid the hassle of taking it down from the rafters (that's just my own issue haha)
I would build a "box" out of wood for it. Flat square for the bottom, peaked roof like shape for the top so they don't perch and poo....or flat if you don't mind the perch and poo.
Put four posts in on each corner, make sure it's strong enough to hold the water container. When it comes time to fill it, you can just slide it out of the wood thing and wah lah.
I hope somebody understands what I'm saying...I'm so much better with drawings. Anyway...the wood container would hang from the ceiling by a wire or chain and the water container would just sit inside...yup.
That's my idea.
xD

Back
Top Bottom