WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO KEEP MY CHICKEN KIDS WARM?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by winekntrychicks, Oct 12, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    We have had a couple of 30 nights. No electricity to the coops. What is the best way to keep the kids warm at night. I have 7 big kids in one coop and 3 bantam silkies in the other coop. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Give them a down comforter - OH WAIT - they already HAVE one of those!

They'll be fine, just tell them about my chickens in Nebraskan winter - and they'll feel better! [​IMG] Make sure there are no drafts and they'll do fine, don't worry so much.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hi, thanks. Another question. What is the difference between draft and ventilation. I've been keeping their little door open at night so they can go into the run at will; but when dh built the coop he built the roof up about 1 inch from the rest of the coop. In addition, he built a window opening covered it with hardware mesh and it has a wooden door that you can close at night, which Iv'e done that. So I am a little confused on what is ventilation as apposed to draft. My Dad gets disgusted with me over my pampered chickens. Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by