What is the best way to mark chicks for identification?

BJ

Songster
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
I have 6 buff orpington pullet chicks. We will only be able to keep 3 of them due to coop size. What is the best way to mark them so we can identify who is who? Their little legs are growing so fast and I'm not sure that leg bands are the best way(?) My husband suggested a dab of food coloring.

I use colored zip ties
smile.png

Nail polish on one of those chickens talons is what miss prissy uses
big_smile.png
I guess it must work well

Last edited:
i use zip ties/cable ties also in florestent and black colors. u can buy them at walmart around the paint/lighting section and hardware stores they come in different colors.

u use them for tieing like tv cables together or those stupid plastic things on kid's toys when u buy a new toy, cops use big ones in place of handcuffs sometimes,lol(i watch tv to much). they r plastic, i use 4" ones that r 3mm i think it is. they can be used from hatch to adult size. u put the thin side through the lock put it around their leg and pull it till it is tight enough they have room to grow but can not fall off. then u cut it close to the lock with scissors and they r good to go. if they get close to tight u cut them off with sissors and put a new one on makeing it bigger. they r way more comfy than bands for them and so much easier to get back off of them.

We did brand ours until I broke my wrist and can't lasso like I could before the accident.
gig.gif
I like the nail polish thing its a pretty common item if you can sneak it out. However its short term. Food coloring as hubby suggested is a good idea ( you might want to go that route for good points)
ya.gif

I use livestock marking sticks. They come in a few colors from TSC and are weatherproof, non toxic waxy soft crayon like thats last a good while. I marked some pullets and they are almost a year and still have a hint of color on them! LOL WARNING - coloring them can become addictive! I gave some to a friend and well one of her white birds became a pink poodle, HA HA.
lau.gif

right now the Buff Orps I am keeping are sporting nail polish.
Audrey is wearing a Tiffany Blue color. Olivia is pink
smile.png

When they get older I am probably going to use the colored zip ties. I think I will be able to tell them apart. But my daughter, husband and rest of the family wont.

Back
Top Bottom