1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best way to paint a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have a 8x8x7 coop. Tin roof, OSB & wire sides. Inside of the coop is a loft that has the quail cage and pigeon loft. The question I have is I want everything painted, including the wire. What's best way to paint it? I didn't know if just paint it with rollers and spray paint the wire or what. Also any color ideas? I want it to kind of blend in, not stand out. It's behind our light blue house, but I don't like that color. Any ideas?

2. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    paint with a spray gun, barn yard red,

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    You can spray the wire, but make sure the temp are about 65F when you paint in winter.

4. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] We sprayed ours too!!! SOOOOO simple!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Wire is difficult but I'd probably use a roller. Hopefully less waste that way. A spray gun would waste a lot.

As far as blending in, I painted my coop a dark green and it blends in well. Color is a personal preference and "blending in" will depend on what is around it. My background was green to begin with.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Our coop is inside a chainlink fence with a field behind it that has either corn or soy beans in it depending on the year

7. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    spray gun is fast but if you don't have one just use a heavy nap roller

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Use a roller for the wire... you will waste WAY less paint, and avoid getting overspray on everything for yards around. Mind, any kind of paint on that wire will start to flake off after not too long, but, you can always redo it when it gets too bothersome-looking [​IMG]

For the coop itself, a sprayer is faster but a roller or even brush work perfectly well too. For OSB you would want a fairly heavy-nap roller, and plan on it using up considerably more paint than an equivalent surface area of smooth surface would. PRIME FIRST! It really makes the paint last longer, and repainting is a very obnoxious job (not the actual repainting so much as the preparation for it, getting all the old slightly-loose paint off)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Get someone else to do it! [​IMG]

Seriously, do deep nap roller and use a medium gray or taupe color. [​IMG] They are neutral earth-shades of color and go well with anything. [​IMG]

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    There is 5 gallon paint buckets of gray for $5 on CL and it is oh so tempting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by