What is the best white breed to use for red sexlinks?

Well learn something new every day. I had to look up cherry eggers, turns out they are either a cross or basically a breed out of RIR and NHs. It's easy to assume "production red hens" are all sex links as there are so many of them.

Did read a bit that suggested they use feather sexing on cherry eggers so they may use sex linking on them after all....
wink.png

Your question has been answered though, any breed with sex linked traits will work with the cherry egger rooster. Jimnjay's list and link are good, although for the whites you need to find out first if their whites are silver and/or barred.

the hatcherys around here use white rock hens with a rir or newHR roo,you could also use rhode island white hens there are a couple others also,personally I think its 6-1 ,1/2 dozen to the other,but I use rhode Island red roo and white plymouth rock hens and barred rock hens to make my sex links

Quote:
The thing is, saying "use white for sex linked matings" can be very easy to misunderstand. The white birds used for sexlinking were also bred specifically to have sex linking genes in them- there's nothing about white that's sex linked.

If the white hen does not have barring or silver or other sex link genes then they will not work for a sex link program.

Thank you to everyone we are going with the Delaware It's a breed we found attractive earlier but wrongly figured we needed an all White Hen! We think they are a beautiful bird.

Thanks to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom