What is the Definition of a Draft in a coop.

tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
So I wanted this thread so that it was easier for people to search for. There are many on here that are new that are building their coops
Plus, I am not sure what some mean by a Draft in the coop?
When you say Draft I think about my house and what needs to be plugged... Around outlets, Windows, Doors etc. But this, I think, is not the same thing.
What areas of the US are you talking about ?

What area, size or shape do you think about when you say "No Drafts"?

What drafts are Good ? Not talking about Ventilation but a draft that is a benefit to the coops air flow?

Anything else you can add would be great !

It is my understanding that you want air exchange but not wind that blows through at perches level. (my 10 babies are still in the brooder, or as my predictive text calls “the Bruder”)
So I have my coop set up where the front door and back door have an optional drop-down screen window, and near the eaves on top is 4 inches screened. It’s important that the coop be kept dry even with employing a deep litter method. You will not want steam to build up in there in hot or cold weather, which could harbor mold and promote frostbite.

Last edited:
A good test for this is to hang some ribbons......or something like long strips of plastic survey tape......from the rafters near and above the roost bars. Make a grid pattern of them.

When its windy out, do they dance around or mostly hang limp? Dancing around is drafty. Limp is not.
Great idea. I will have to do the ribbon test in my coop.

In my house I use an incense stick to see where drafts are. It will show you where it is blowing IN and Sucking Out :) In my coop I used a burning stick that was smoking (hens were in the front yard away from coop).

In my house I use an incense stick to see where drafts are. It will show you where it is blowing IN and Sucking Out :) In my coop I used a burning stick that was smoking (hens were in the front yard away from coop).
I wouldn't want a drafty, coop but, chickens are birds. Some owners have chickens sleeping in trees at night just like wild birds. Then again, the modern day chicken is a genetically modified critter, and may not be as tough as the original Jungle Fowl.

Back
Top Bottom