What is the difference between a green egg layer and an olive egger

Quote:
Oh ok. Thank you very much for the information. I've been wondering about the plum colored egg... I guess it's just something you get lucky if you have it to add variety...

If you get yourself a decent variety of Marans from different lines, you're bound to get a hen in there who will give you at least one plum egg every ooh month. Some people have never gotten it, I myself get it all the time from the little supply of Wheatens I have. I'm hoping to breed it into my Olive Eggers though - I've seen and can just imagine the beauty of a dark olive egg w/a coating, making it a sort of teal color.

That would be neat! I am a big fan of different colored eggs. I see you are too
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up for me. She does raise olive eggers and has BCM and Arucucana (sp) that are tufted and rumpless. She mentioned those things as we talked. So these two chicks were pulled from her stock of day old chicks to help me give my little AC a brooder mate. So that would seem logical. She hasn't gotten back in touch with me about their breed so I think I'll just call them olive eggers since I won't be breeding them, just enjoying their eggs
smile.png

Last edited:
I get a variety of shades from my Mutts. I've had dark green "Olives" in past flocks of mutts, but not this year yet.

36435_dailyeggs.jpg

36435_eggsagain.jpg

Last edited:
I love my white leghorn for her consistency in laying. But I also love seeing the different colored eggs. I'm hoping to get a maran next time I get chicks. I'd also love a blue egg layer. I'll have the brown Orpington eggs in the spring.

To answer your question about what breed they are, they are not purebreds but mixed breed (mutts). They are very pretty ands lay beautiful eggs, just like some of the EE's in my flock. Which, by the way, are better layers of bigger eggs than my purebred ams.

Got another green egg - this time I saw her lay it - it was Bandit the one with the tail. I thought she was sick because she was on the floor in the pine shavings and wasn't moving. Then a few minutes later she pushed and out popped this beauty. Nice dark green - I guess closer to olive - maybe she's just going to lay beautiful green eggs. So cool! This was my 1st time of getting to see a chicken lay an egg! Now I'm just waiting for Smokey to lay her 1st egg - since probably this was Bandit's 2nd egg. It was darker and bigger then the first - which I ate so I don't have it to reference anymore.

97463_bandits_eggjpg.jpg

Last edited:
It was just timing. I went out to check on everyone because it's so cold and windy today. I noticed Bandit was missing and feared she was dead. We lost a silkie over Christmas so that's my new first thought. So I peeked into the coop and found Bandit in the corner on the floor. I tried to go near her and she growled at me. Snow White came in and pecked at Bandit so I shooed her out. Then I noticed she was gasping and I thought she was dying of something. That's when I realized she was crouching and pushing. Then the egg fell out and she just stood there still for a brief time. I tried to pet her and she squawked and left. So cool to watch it!

Back
Top Bottom