1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the difference between a standard bronze turkey and broad breasted bronze?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeylady, Jan 26, 2012.

1. turkeylady

turkeylady New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Port Townsend, Washington
    I have two beautiful bronze turkeys -- one tom and one hen. I truly believe they are show quality; however, my hen seems a bit large compared to photos I have seen on the Internet for standard bronze, and only standards are accepted by the APA. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a standard bronze and a broad breasted? Thanks so much!

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm pretty sure the only obvious difference is that a standard bronze with top out at some where around 30 pounds, whereas a broad breasted can be upwards of 60-70 pounds. These are mature weights.

BBB also grow a lot faster.

Do you have weights and pics of yours? [​IMG]

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    BBB is a meat turkey and by the time they are 6 months they are huge and start to have problems getting around. A standard bronze hen will be only about 10 lbs at 6 months.How old are they?

4. eddyld1947

eddyld1947 New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    NW Florida Panhandle
    16 week old Broad Breasted Bronze.[​IMG]

5. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very pretty Birds I bet you are proud of those Turkeys I would be.
    some one correct me if I,m wrong but for the most part double breasted birds cant reproduce on there own unless its a single breasted Tom with a double breasted Hen.
    Double breasted are for meat only health problems with the weight unless you put them on a diet LOL
    shorter life span than the single breasted breeds.

I have Bourbon reds I have not raised any double breasted breeds.

Good Luck To ya keep us up dated

6. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Double breasted is a suit. Single breasted is someone who has had a mastectomy. The correct terms are Broad Breasted and Standard, as in the original post.

Besides weight, there are major type differences between the two. Standard Bronze have an upright carriage with a triangular body shape, just like the birds pictured in the Standard of Perfection. Broad Breasted Bronze have a horizontal carriage, with an almost rectangular body shape. Their legs are usually placed in the center of the body to help carry their immense weight, vs a further back placement on the Standards. Once you see a mature BB, there is little mistaking it with a Standard. The BB are more massive in most every respect.

Everyone thinks that their birds are beautiful and precious, but unless they have been bred to exacting standards and continuously slected for show qualities, it is extremely rare for one to measure up well to those which have, especially if obtained from a source where the exact breed is unknown, let alone show traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by