what is the difference in a name. Farm VS Ranch.

We consider ourselves both farmers and ranchers since we grow different grain crops and also have a cow herd. I think to call it either a farm or a ranch should be big enough to pay your bills....if it doesn't then it's a place in the country but neither a farm nor a ranch.

Term for small farms in the upper Midwest is "hobby farm".

Farm/Ranch

Ranches are west of the Mississippi and farms are east of the Mississippi..

Ranches I think of short grass pasture land and cattle on large acreage, no dairy, no row crops no produce.

A chicken ranch some how sounds "naughty".. (Was that not a movie or something..)

ON

It doesn't matter what kind of animals you have. If you are East of the Mississippi (and even in some regions directly west of the Mississippi, like Missouri & Arkansas) you do NOT have a ranch. It's a farm.

Milk cows = dairy farm, not a ranch.
Pigs = farm or factory farm, depending on setup (yeah, I know there is a new acronym. Don't care.)

There is no such thing as a chicken or turkey ranch, either.

Ranch = large acreage grasslands or scrub land with large animals (not pigs) typically kept for meat (not dairy). Usually western land...

Growing up, Hobby farms were called Farmettes (rhymes with the name Annette) with great disdain. They weren't liked by the local farmers AT ALL and they really weren't welcome in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea I was going to call my place the chicken ranch but figured I would attract the wrong kind of customers. LOL Actually the chicken ranch was in the movie The Best Little Whore House in Texas with Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds.

Last edited:
Okay I have say I'm confused. Our farm/ranch is 1500 acres with beef cattle, milk cows, goats, horses, Multiple birds. Now to the farn side we have a 5 acre garden every year. We grow our own feed and hay. So are we a working ranch or a working farm? I personally just consider it a part of heaven.
smile.png

Where I live, a farm can have livestock, barns, crops and pick-up trucks. A ranch has all those plus, a fancy gate at the road end of the drive with a fancy sign, a fancy pick-up like a Lincoln or some other such nonesense. So you get my drift, the people on farms drive trucks, if they have a car, it is a Ford or Chevy , etc. On the ranch if they have a car it is a Cadillac or Lexus, etc. ( Only my observation from my area)
idunno.gif

Sorry this country girl wouold not be caught did in a care (except for the Squirrel I drive for work). I have never owned a car, I only have truck and more trucks and a jeep. My theory is if I cannot get in it with my wornout jeans and boots with holes in them then I do not need it. They laugh at me at the office when I leave the Squirrel at home and drive my truck to work. At anyone time there maybe something weird in the seat or floorboard such as a bander or tools to dehorn cattle, birthing gloves, fake eggs or a rope.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom