what is the earliest age you got an egg?

have 3 speckled sussex that are approx 20 weeks and three each of barred rocks and buff orps that are 18 weeks. no eggs yet. the BR's combs and waddles have gone bright red in the last week or so, so i suspect they are close. the SS are also starting to redden up some, so they might not be far behind. the buffs look to be the last to join the game. of course i just moved the whole flock to a new home, so that might have set the whole process back some.

Quote:
I could not agree with you more. I was so excited for mine first two pullets to start laying, but kept them on their starter grower until they started laying at about 20 weeks (two BRs). I have read about pullets that start laying early and the correlation between internal laying/egg binding and prolapsed vent, so I would rather have them start a little later and them be properly matured and remain healthy.

I'm excited for my golden sex-link girl to start laying her eggs. She's only 14 weeks old so I've got a while yet. My only other hens are bantam Cochins and they have tiny eggs...

I notice posts saying not to rush them laying but mine started squatting when I walked near them a couple of weeks before they started laying. They were still on chick starter, I've only just switched to layer. How do you delay laying?

Twenty-one weeks old today and still not a single egg!
he.gif

I've got 3 Cochin hens, 2 Ameraucanas, then one each of: Hamburg, Andalusian, Dorking, and a Polish.
rant.gif

Is is safe to offer the Layena or Oyster shell to a mixed age group of chickens. I have 17 week olds and 6 week olds together. I thought I read somewhere that the calcium was bad for younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom