What is the easiest way to tell the difference between a RIR and NH?

hey scratchin by if you get a barred rooster and cross it with your n.h. red females youll get delawares. maybe that would be a good roo for you maybe not. what part of east texas are you in im in crockett

Crossing a BR with a NH will not give you a Delaware. The Del was created from a white sport (mutation) from that cross. If you did cross BRs with NHs, you would get all barred chicks, not white chicks.

NH have black in their hackles that RIR do not. That and their more orangey color are the two ways, though hatchery RIRs can be a bit on the lighter red side themselves.

I've never heard of a Delaware from that cross.

I don't have a BR, but a Dom roo. Big John below...

18168_family_pictures_328.jpg

Yes, hatching Dom/NH eggs always come out barred. I have several Dom/NH cross hens and they are my better layers. My biggest, Domzilla, lays a monster egg. They all have the single comb. You can see one in the pic with a single comb and brown in her back.

18168_family_pictures_328.jpg

I'm going with NH. Looks like the pic I can't find.

Delawares, originally called "Indian Rivers," were developed by George Ellis of Delaware in 1940 and were used for the production of broilers. The breed originated from crosses of Barred Plymouth Rock roosters and New Hampshire hens. A few off-colored sports were produced that were almost white with black barring on the hackles, primaries, secondaries, and tail.

From this site: http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/delaware.html

Interesting.
pop.gif

Off subject... I'm sure there's a post out there on the subject. I've got friends that say, "dom or BR, it's all the same!". What would you tell them? I've told them they're not the same, but I can't tell them exactly what makes them different. Been meaning to read up. I know the combs are different and unless I've got them next to each other, couldn't tell the barring apart. So, what do you tell them?

Thanks!

no matter what he is, ive decided hes got to leave i dont like his color so why would i breed him? lol this was a no brainer....ive been sick so give me a break haha.....anyone want him? lol

Back
Top Bottom