What is the exact formula of feed given to the La Bresse chickens?

OldSalty

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
I understand that the La Bresse chickens are fed on a diet of milk and maize and wheat but every source that talks about the contents of the feed and the preparation method is different. For example one source I read said to use 2 cups of maize and 4 cups of milk. Another source said not to mix the feed with the milk but to soak it for several hours. I'm really lost in this and would like ot see the formula that the French farmers use. I do understand the each farmer might have a slightly different firmula so I want to hear as much as possible and compare.

This is for pre butchering right? Just want to make sure you know this is not a growing feed rather a few weeks to month pre slaughter ration and to prepare the meat right the birds should be confined to small cages too. The term to fatten is literally what you're accomplishing, high fat diet with no mobility to soften the meat. It's exactly what is done for geese, nail the feet to floor and use a funnel to force feed molasses with grain. Ya know, high fat diet, no mobility.

As to your mix of corn with milk I think you'll find the 2 cups corn to 4 cups milk will be darn close to letting the grain soak up as much milk as it can. It's a six in one hand half dozen in other sort of thing.

I tried the 2 to 4 recipe but it turned into this soup thing which is similar to a watered down porridge. I saw this video where they showed the entire raising process of these chickens and they showed a part where they fed the milk stuff to the chickens but it looked like a thick porridge. I'm going to try the soaking method. I
ll share my results. If it doesn't work I'll probably try wheat then maybe barley.

Back
Top Bottom