What is the friendliest bantam breed?

My bantam cochin hens are great, I did have a roo that was just down right crazy, but there is one in every flock. My roo that is left is cool though. He tends to wander away from me when he wants to be left alone, lets me collect eggs from his girls, and when he took to roosting outside in a bush, let me go over and pick him up and move him to the coop with just a couple squacks.

'roosting outside in a bush'
lol.png

I wish I could see a picture of that!!!!! how cute

Definately d'uccles, our girl pretty much begs to be picked up. Cochins are okay though the ones we had were kind of spazzy and not too fond of being held. And silkies are always a good choice, theyre super sweet and really pretty.

Hi!
Here, it would have to be the Cochins --- they are 'people-birds' from the start. They seem to love attention, where some of my other breeds just seem to 'tolerate' it.
My Modern Game bantams are much the same, but they don't appeal to some people.
smile.png

Lisa

silkies and cochins are from all appearances friendly but I think that is because they are too lazy to try and get away. OEG are also very friendly and very lively.

But for Michigan, I'd recommend wyandotte bantams in whatever color you like. Rose comb and smaller waddles handle cold better and they are definetly friendly. Ours sit in my DD lap while she hand feeds them. Not as broody as other bantams I've had but they do go broody. Roosters aren't as fertile as other breeds altho they are fertile.

Of all the chicken breeds we have right now, the Millies my DS got from a fellow BYCer are really sweet and fly up onto our laps when sitting in their pen, my Dutch Bantam(He's the best!), and our Japanese Bantams.

My d'Uccles could be house chickens... talk about sweet personalities!!
And they're cute, too! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom