What is the friendliest breed in your opinion?

My golden 300 is sweet and quiet. As is my khaki.

Blarney I would definitely get your duck a companion. Ducks are social and flock animals- they need it. I am very sorry for your loss. I lost one of my girls to a neighborhood dog that got loose a month ago. Very sad.

My call duckling is super friendly. She loves my kids and plays with the cats :) but I think it mainly depends on the ducks personality and if it was handled lots from hatching. I have two Campbell's and they tolerate people and will eat out of hands but never would come and be affectionate like my call.

Pic of Daisy playing in a (clean) pool with my kids and of her sleeping on my lap with her cat brother :)

Your cat didn't try to eat your duck? I've been locking my cat up in my sons bedroom when I have young ducks in the house and he hates it.

Nope I don't leave the duckling and the cats together without supervision but Daisy (the duckling) chases the cats and plays with their tails. My cats are super friendly and love everyone including children so I'm not worried about them.
The 2yo Campbell's I have are in the garden whenever I'm home (at least once a day) and get locked up in their run/house at night so spend time in the garden with the cats and again the cats get chased by the ducks if they get too close.

But it is always better safe than to be sorry and it will ultimately depend on the temperament of the animal

LW x

My cats don't either.. i have 3 indoor ones(all ragdolls) and they are soooooo bored with babies in the house they pay no mind, but it's always a good idea to be cautious cats can most definitely kill chicks/ducklings.

As for the member who lost their baby pekin, that's a shame sorry to hear that definitely get a friend, ducks are flock animals they massively benefit from others of their own kind.

Are Pekins louder than buffs? My buff is loud! So far nobody has complained but I don't particularly want 2 super noisy ducks. We want it for a pet and eggs. But it doesn't need to be a huge producer. We already have 3 female egg layers (2 chickens and 1 duck) and will be getting another chick. The eggs are just for our family of 5 so we don't need a ton. Maybe a dozen a week roughly. (More is fine too)

Oh my - My fatata (Buff) is mighty loud when she wants something - but she's the sweetest of my bunch (pekin drake - crested hen - buff hen). My pekin drake is a great protector of his hens :) , my crested has a HUGE personality and plenty sweet. My little Buff is the sweetest and the best little insect finder!

To be honest - any breed you go with - you can't go wrong :D Ducks are awesome!

I've heard moscovys are very quiet I just am not enamored with the red turkey like faces, but they lay well and have a huge following. Personally I like my bitty calls

I know I dont want calls because of their noise and small size and I dont want a muscovy because I dont like their weird face skin. Haha! But anything else I think I would like. I just dont know how to pick the right one out of a bunch of straight run ducklings. That's why i'm looking for advice on temperament and pics of ducklings. I already picked out the wrong ducks twice! I wanted a Rouen and got a mallard and wanted a f/w runner and got a buff. So 3rd time is the charm? I hope! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom