What is the going price of a good laying hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blaundee, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    A good laying hen goes for $15 to 20 dollars here on a regular basis.

2. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    in my aria a laying hen selles for no more than $5.00-if your lucky! I was trying to sell some bantam pulletts hen hatched & raised and when I said I wanted $5.00 to sombody that was intrested in them she laughed in my face (literrally).
    last year I sold 6 laying hens for $15.00 becayse I couldnt get a better offer... ALL of those hens turned around & hatched a clutch the following year (and I knew they would, thats why I chose those breeds in the first place)... its almost not worth it, the ONLY reason I still keep chickens is because I enjoy them.

3. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

in my aria a laying hen selles for no more than $5.00-if your lucky! I was trying to sell some bantam pulletts hen hatched & raised and when I said I wanted $5.00 to sombody that was intrested in them she laughed in my face (literrally).
    last year I sold 6 laying hens for $15.00 becayse I couldnt get a better offer... ALL of those hens turned around & hatched a clutch the following year (and I knew they would, thats why I chose those breeds in the first place)... its almost not worth it, the ONLY reason I still keep chickens is because I enjoy them.

That's how it is here! I definately DON'T have them to make any money off of!!! LOL​

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I paid 12$ for point of lay pullets last yr! I wouldn't sell them for $25each ! If I could find happy, healthy yr old hens here, I wouldn't expect to get them less than $20! A few month ago, I found a lady, who lives w/ in 30min. of me, who had two hens that I wanted-- I offered her 25$ for each... I came home w / them. I thought that was a fair price.. I KNOW how much it cost to feed, house and raise them to this age... EVERYTHING else has gone up why not chickens...

Day old chicks around here are 3-5$...and I had a breeder tell me he added a dollar for every week he kept them.. He gets $20 for his POL (16week old) pullets.

5. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I am going to try to develop a market for POL pullets, because I think they are worth more myself- I would NOT expect to buy one for less than $25!!! But it will take time to build that sort of demand...

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    $10-$15 in my area.

7. grassfedeggs

grassfedeggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    $15 - $25 here in New Hampshire for a laying hen.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Craig's List ads in my area vary. Chicks $3 up. Araucana pullets $6 each. Most of the laying hens ads are for $15 to $20.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It really depends on the area. Also depends on why you are selling them and if you want to keep them together. I preferred to keep my 4 1-year-old hens together so I had to price them a little lower to sell them all at once. Nobody here is gonna pay $100 for 4 regular ole laying hens (at the $25 each price some have quoted)

I would think $10 is the going price on Craigslist around here, but I couldn't sell mixed breed chicks for $1! I definitley don't make money selling them [​IMG]

10. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Here I just bought 4 chickens for $60 - $15 each. Three are four months old and not laying yet, one is a year old and in the end of her first molt (and therefore not laying well right now). Ones currently laying are usually $20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by