1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the hatch rate for shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Promiselandfarm, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that there are a good deal of variables in this but what is the average hatch rate for shipped eggs? I am just wondering as I have some that are to hatch out today and well I am excited but wondering now how many of the 20+ are going to hatch and what about the others that I have gotten from other people. Things we chicken people think about while waiting on those lovelies to hatch....[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont think anyone has actually come up with an average. If you get a 50% hatch, that's considered good. I've had 53% up to 88% on shipped eggs.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I've had 0%-75%. It varies due to a variety of conditions.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    0% to 100%. that's been my luck and any where in between.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I read online that a 40-50% hatch rate is considered GREAT!

I have had 10 out of 12 hatch. I have had 0 out of 0 develop, I have had 8 out of 12 white call ducklings hatch.

I have also had 4 out of 40 call duck eggs hatch. When I got them some had bacteria rings, and some smelled rotten, so I through them out. I have a feeling that the guy stock piled his eggs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I got 14 eggs shipped to CA from WI and am down to 6 on day 19.

7. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    2 Silkies just hatched from my shipped eggs... 2/12 better than none! One even had a floating air sac! I was a bit surprised!

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have heard that 50% is a good rate.

9. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    If I get 50% I feel like I got a good hatch. Anything above that is great. I have gotten anywhere between 0-80%.

10. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have gotten "0" hatch and my best was 7 out of 8 - sizzles from jimnjay - I agree with most 50% is great! I have Welsummers - 11 eggs due to hatch today - not a pip yet! But UT to TN is a long hard journey on eggs.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by