what is the largest breed of chicken?

jenlynn4

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
PA
Jearsy Giant? I just wasnt sure. Can anyone tell me?
wink.png

I think there is a breed called an 'Assil' or Asil', not sure on the spelling, but it is supposed to be even bigger than Jerseys. Im not sure though. They are very hard to get, and harder to get as purebred. They arent native to the USA, nor common.

Otherwise, my vote would be for a well-bred, pure Jersey Giant, if your looking for the biggest breed.

I thought it was the Jersey Giant but I've never researched it.

What I find interesting is that my JG's don't visually appear much larger than my BO's. But when you pick her up, she's SOLID. She's like a heavy weight fighter. I know they build up stronger bones to support their extra weight.

Quote:
Where did you get your Jerseys? Hatchery stock Jerseys are often not as big when grown as they should be. Also, it can take up to 2 years for a Jersey Roo to reach full height/weight, and up to 18 months for a hen. I can see a huge difference in my Jersey stock from my other breeds. Mine are not hatchery though. When I had hatchery Jerseys, they were definately smaller than my non-hatchery Jerseys. Still a good size, but not as big.

I didnt know Malays could get so tall! Wow! I think one or 2 of my Jersey roo's are almost 3 feet tall when they stand up straight, but Im not sure...now I wanna go measure one!
lol.png

Quote:
Where did you get your Jerseys? Hatchery stock Jerseys are often not as big when grown as they should be. Also, it can take up to 2 years for a Jersey Roo to reach full height/weight, and up to 18 months for a hen. I can see a huge difference in my Jersey stock from my other breeds. Mine are not hatchery though. When I had hatchery Jerseys, they were definately smaller than my non-hatchery Jerseys. Still a good size, but not as big.

I didnt know Malays could get so tall! Wow! I think one or 2 of my Jersey roo's are almost 3 feet tall when they stand up straight, but Im not sure...now I wanna go measure one!
lol.png

Yea, my Jersey Girl is from a hatchery. I knew so little when I bought three chicks to raise in my backyard. She tips the scales at just over 6.5 lbs these days and she's 10 months old. She'll probably never get as big as some other JG's which is fine with me. I have no plans on breeding her. Just love her for who she is. But she's definitely got some girth to her.

Depends on your version of "big"
wink.png

Asil actually aren't that big compared to Malays and Saipan Gamefowl, not even O-Shamos, they're just more well known. Some of the Malays or O-Shamos can reach 30 inches tall or taller, and weigh over 11 lbs.

The Standard asks Jersey Giants to weigh no less than 10 lbs. Same with Brahmas and Cochins. However they're not THAT tall, just, short and fluffy.

Langshans are surely huge, but again, mostly leg.

And naturally, the farther from hatchery stock, the bigger.
wink.png

woweee 3 ft. tall! now that is just what hubby is looking for. he wants 1 or 2 of the largest chicken there are for a pet. LOL

Back
Top Bottom