What is the largest tractor that I could move by myself?

itsalladream

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Mobile, AL
My Coop
My Coop
Still in the planning stages here, and trying to decide on a number of things. What is the largest tractor (coop, enclosed run) that I would be able to move on my own. Would something suitable for 8 chickens be out of the question? I'm not worried about my wife (don't know all the abbreviations
roll.png
) being able to move it because she said this will be my thing (although I think they will grow on her).

Thanks again guys!!

There's lots of different kinds of tractors. Some can be moved with a 'tractor', some with a riding lawnmower and some by hand. If you are planning on moving it by hand, I'd say get one that your wife can handle, too. Mine weighs about 75 lbs. but balances on the two back wheels and pulls forward fairly easily for me (I'm a girl, by the way). That is, if the grass doesn't need to be mowed. Its really hard if the grass is too high.

There's an 8x10x2 tractor made of EMT on the coop design page. That's the one I plan on building for my soon-to-be flock, despite having lots of free wood available at home.

Here is mine. I used hardware cloth (wear gloves) and my stepson framed out the bottom with 2x4's that were up here already. He drilled holes in the frame and we put the pvc into the holes and he put a screw in from the outside that went through the wood and pvc.
I used zip ties to attach the hardware cloth. It is all very strong....a little heavy because we over did a little on the frame at the bottom. But it is heavy enough if a strong wind comes along I won't have to worry about it going anywhere.

At the end I used 1x1 sq wire so that I would be able to make a door. I simply cut out the size I wanted and used one of those little plier like things to bend the 'j' metal joint in....made hinges. I tie it shut with plastic coated wire. I use a tarp over the end to provide cover from rain and morning dew. And there is a roosting board inside.

At the other end we left boards extended and drilled holes there also and put a strong rope from side to side. We attached two wheels at the door end and I can stand behind the rope and easily walk it wherever I want it to go.....right now it is in the garden...end of season and I rotate chickens into it to semi free range during the day. I have a coop and run so do not use it exclusively.

If it was all I was going to have we could have easily built a small coop in the end....but that WOULD add to the weight. Right now I have no problems walking it to where I want it.

Oh, and the board that is running across the top...it is not attached yet....we are thinking we will attach it and use it to hang feeders from to free up space...but it has not been an issue yet as we only put water in there when we are using it in the garden.

62714_110_3547.jpg

It all depends on what materials you use to build it. Wood is going to be heavier than metal, which is heavier than PVC, etc.

I have a 6' by 12' metal hoop tractor with wooden baseboards that's easy for me to drag around the yard.

Okay, I might change my mind AGAIN after seeing bburn's tractor
lol.png

How large is that run?

Fenika,

The hardware cloth is 24" wide.....So, 8 feet. And the width ends up being around 6 feet.

The 2x4's were longer, but I really wanted to be able to drill the holes and add the rope to pull it....plus, I am not sure this is true, but in my mind, to pick it up and move it there is not as much weight at that end.....I think. Anyway, I can pick it up and I can pull it with my body weight with no problem.

The tarp is not on it in this picture but I only cover the back half where the little roost is until night and then I pull it all the way over it. The tarp has grommets and I could attach them but have not had a reason to as of yet.

I like it and looked at everyone that I could find to look at. Then I just bit the bullet and bought the pvc and hardware cloth. Use gloves and wear long sleeves! Am still healing from that stuff. Buy lots of zip ties. I will keep an eye on them over the next couple of years and replace them if the sun/weather affects them.

But my husband was out of town working and I kept wanting one and decided I could do it. Thank goodness my stepson got interested in it and helped. He did mention that although he used a long screw on each pvc pipe where it went into the hole he drilled that the pressure would have probably kept it in......but we weren't sure enough to test it and leave it without the screw. Sure seems solid for what it is.

And I was going to do without the little wheels....glad I did not!

You cannot stand up inside of it. I guess you could use longer pvc pipe or buy a connecter and make the pvc longer and make it tall enough to stand in....I just did not find it necessary....lol...I might if I had to go in after a chicken that would not come out though!

Last edited:
My last design I drew out was about 9x9 and 6 tall at one end (It would be a triangle, so the back would have no height). I have a lot of wood here that is sturdy and can be paired up to form 2x4s (almost) for added strength. I might have to go back to that design if your 8x6 is movable on wheels. Then I just have to buy chicken safe exterior paint and/or finish...

And heaven knows there are a TON of zip ties lying around here
wink.png

I'm thinking of using 2x4's split in half to frame it, with braces in each corner for added support. This would make it easier to attach the hardware cloth, instead of having to use zip-ties, we could use staples or screws with fender washers.

I've also been thinking (doing a lot of thinking lately) of a way to modify something that I saw on here for the wheels. That idea had wheels that pivot down and lock in place for moving, but I've been thinking of a mechanism that could pivot 4 wheels down with one pull, but not sure if the weight would make that unfeasible. I may try to diagram it at some point, and you guys might have some ideas.

Mine is 8Lx10wx6h built with PVC , wire & hardware cloth. Has a people door ,but I just lift up for chickens. Extremely lightwt but allows me to "freerange" Doesn't even require wheels. I was Have been very satisfied with my setup.

Back
Top Bottom