1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the longest you've had to wait for a hen to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DvanderSlik, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm a new chicken owner! My three Brahmas are now going on 22 weeks, and I'm going insane!

Is this normal? How long should I wait before getting worried? They don't do a "submissive squat" that I can tell. Unfortunately the farmer I bought the pullets from, never really handled them. So they just run away from you if you try to hold them (I normally have to corner them to hold them).

Are they makin' golden eggs? What's the deal!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've gone 33 and 35 weeks.

Imp

3. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    That stinks... We're still waiting for ones to lay that we got. They told us they were 16 weeks or so and turns out they were about a month younger. I'm sure people have waited a long time. I heard Silkies lay very late.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    24 weeks today and still no eggs from my Ameraucanas.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have seven pullets that are 25 weeks old - and only three are laying.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I saw the title of your thread I just knew you were talking about brahmas.

I waited 9 1/2 months for the last two of my brahmas to start laying; but most of my brahma girls were laying by 28 weeks.

Don't worry. It'll be worth the wait.

If you want my advice, stop cornering them; it'll only increase their fear. Spend some time with them in the evening, when they are quieting down for the night. Move slowly, speak quietly and remember the fastest way to a chickens heart is through the stomach.

7. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:That's great advice. Thank you. I will get some goodies out there and see if I can win over some chicken tummies [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I think my Brahma is was hatched January 29th. I believe that would make her 28 weeks old. No eggs yet, or even squatting or checking out the laying boxes. I purchased 5 different hens at 5 months, her included. The Brahma and my SLW are the only two who haven't laid yet. The SLW is so red it looks like she's about to burst into flame, but no squatting or laying box investigating from her either. I've stopped stressing about it, LOL!

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    16 weeks for me, my RIR's are like robots I swear....they really surprised me they began laying so early.

the new flock I got this year, I hardly doubt they will be this surprising, I foresee a long wait with these ones!!

Ema

10. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    30 weeks for my wyndottes. I thought they would never lay, and then all of a sudden...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by