What is the Makeup of This Hen? Thought I Knew, but...

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Some of you already have seen this hen and know who she is, but pretend you are seeing her for the first time and use your critical eye to guess what breeds might be in her ancestry. She can really fly, unlike all my other hens.

DSCN0233.jpg

DCP_6093.jpg

DCP_5753.jpg

DCP_5754.jpg

DCP_6016.jpg

DCP_5752.jpg

This is the egg she lays, hardly larger than my bantam Cochin's egg:

DCP_5729.jpg

First thing I thought when I seen her was game. It looks like she has some of one of the long neck games in her, like aseel or malay maybe? Whatever she is, she is very nice looking.

Yup, that's Tiny. She is a fierce little hen and I'm beginning to think there is something in her ancestry along the game lines, but I would love for folks who have more experience with those type breeds to chime in. I did hatch her here, but nothing about her is telling me that she is what I thought she was, nothing at all. This little gal has some respectable spurs on her. She's a good little layer, even though her eggs are quite small. That's another thing about her that is weird, her egg size. My banty Cochin, Shadow, lays an egg about the same size as Tiny's.

Last edited:
If I didn't know any better Cyn, I'd say one of Kathy's Icelandic boys flew the coop and had an afternoon tryst with one of your Amer girls!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif
Sorry sweetie! I have no clue! But dang it all! She's such a pretty little thing. If I could only convince you to ship her, I'd take her in a heartbeat and give Tiny her very own little coop to share with anyone she wanted too. What a pretty little thing, and I love the fact that she still demands all of the attention she can get! You know me and the special needs birds. I just can't resist them!
love.gif

Oh, Amy, you don't want this little spitfire! She is insistent on attention and unlike Gypsy or Charlotte, if she doesn't get it, she bites. Heck, if you push her away, she comes back fighting. I'm dead serious. She will even flog if you keep pushing her away. I am trying to rehome her because she needs more attention than she is getting and I am expanding my flock so she will get even less.

What I'm doing is hatching to have a large group to pick from so I can replace my elderly ladies as they pass on to that Great Roost in the Sky. Tiny will definitely be lost in the shuffle when those new ones are put into the flock. Her bad eyesight is what I'm sure is to blame for her personality. She has to be tough in a group where everyone is higher ranking than she is and she can't really see well enough to avoid predators, etc. She was spoiled rotten as a chick and now, insists that all attention is paid to her. She calms down with lots of attention, but heck, I can't cater to her the way she wants. She needs to be in a small flock where someone can lavish tons of attention on her and let her be a pet.

Thanks to all who are giving input here. I will tell you that Tiny did hatch from a blue egg, but her tail set, her entire body type, her brown egg, her eye color, all tell me she has something in her ancestry that I didn't expect. I've seen game hens who look almost identical to her. Even her pea comb is not a good pea at all, so she definitely isn't pure for pea comb, IMO. I think there was a single comb in her gene pool somewhere.

I think tiny is a great little hen I love chickens that are different I have 2 barnyard mixes and they are great. I have no idea what she might be mixed with but I love her expressions.

Back
Top Bottom