What is the most creative recycled item you used in building your coop

Kieyamama

Songster
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
NorCal
There are so many people that don't have a lot of money to build their coops and a lot of people who choose to use recycled materials. I thought it might be fun to create a list of our most "resourceful" recycled items that we used to build our coops.

I'll go first!
tongue2.gif

I realized that the grates off the bottom of an old screen door would make a terrific predator proof window!

My hubby worked at the local VA Hospital in the early 80s they replaced the old wooden single pain windows and he took some of them and has stored them for all these years we used two of them in our coop and are making cold frames with some of the others.

Used trashed left over Hurricane fence, that Hurricane Ike trashed all over town, we picked it up from peoples yards, and also we picked up the pieces of tin, thats how our roof is made of...

36033_perches.jpg

used home entertainment shelves for nest areas, turned side ways for cubby holes....

Milk jugs for feeders...?
hide.gif

Our pigeon loft is made almost entirely out of FREE insulated, refrigeration pannels
wee.gif
Makes it so much easier to clean with that baked on slick surface, and keeps the temps inside from jumping all over the place.

The coop itself is made from ripped apart pallets. The nest boxes are made from an old kitchen cabinet & for the feeder, I drilled 2" holes near the bottom of a tidy cat bucket, and sat that inside of a litter pan that I bought new & had used as a seedling tray.

Back
Top Bottom