1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the most creative recycled item you used in building your coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kieyamama, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    There are so many people that don't have a lot of money to build their coops and a lot of people who choose to use recycled materials. I thought it might be fun to create a list of our most "resourceful" recycled items that we used to build our coops.

I'll go first! [​IMG]

I realized that the grates off the bottom of an old screen door would make a terrific predator proof window!

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    My hubby worked at the local VA Hospital in the early 80s they replaced the old wooden single pain windows and he took some of them and has stored them for all these years we used two of them in our coop and are making cold frames with some of the others.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    We used pallets to make a fence to keep the chickens in our yard.

4. gardenergirl

gardenergirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Chicagoland
    We used a shipping crate from a piece of fragile scientific equipment. Very sturdy.

[​IMG]

5. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    Fragile scientific equipment? That's so very mysterious of you!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Used trashed left over Hurricane fence, that Hurricane Ike trashed all over town, we picked it up from peoples yards, and also we picked up the pieces of tin, thats how our roof is made of...

[​IMG]

used home entertainment shelves for nest areas, turned side ways for cubby holes....

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Milk jugs for feeders...? [​IMG]
    Our pigeon loft is made almost entirely out of FREE insulated, refrigeration pannels [​IMG] Makes it so much easier to clean with that baked on slick surface, and keeps the temps inside from jumping all over the place.

9. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    The coop itself is made from ripped apart pallets. The nest boxes are made from an old kitchen cabinet & for the feeder, I drilled 2" holes near the bottom of a tidy cat bucket, and sat that inside of a litter pan that I bought new & had used as a seedling tray.

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We use pallets for our coop. If it ever stops raining, I'll go take some pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by