What is the most creative recycled item you used in building your coop

I used an old truck break drum to elevate the waterers. It's the perfect height and they can't tip it over.
We also used some wood from shipping crates that were used for 'sensitive scientific equipment'. Hunny got them off the loading dock at the lab.

We used a wind dome from a truck to make the inside part of our tractor... Raining today but I will post a pic of it put together soon. Scrap wood was used to make the run. All we had to buy was one roll of chicken wire and three sheets of chipboard.

38063_aug_2009_041.jpg

The front is all painted blue now the same as the dome.
38063_aug_2009_043.jpg

This is the run it is attached to...
38063_aug_2009_117.jpg

The chickens just love it. They are 6 weeks old. They are just using this till our main coop is finished.

all of the lumber is recycled shipping crates, nicest long structurals and plywood from an elevator's various crates being installed in a new building in town. Only purchase was hardware cloth, fasteners, latches. Hinges were from the junk boxes from past remodel projects.

ok, went and took pictures of my coop, the first one that we call the Main coop came out great!!!
wink.png
It was from old lumbar fencing and tin from buildings that the Hurricane had taken down last year all over town, we collected it...we put alot of work into.

36033_dsc_0752.jpg
we even added a smaller one behind the main coop

36033_minicoop.jpg

36033_dsc_0837.jpg

This one was also old lumbar, expects for a few main frame pieces, used an old dog house for a tiny coop facing the side. The sides of this coop are from left over fence from hurricane

and then I got the chicken Addition and DH was on the same speed boat as me, and so I started hatching babies, and then they were here, and no place to put them, DH works alot of hours, and Im out on medical, so we had to do quick make shift coops, and you can tell its a quick set up, until we can make coop for them. and I put together a coop for my BUFF ORPS...and one FRENCH CUCKOO MARAN...
36033_dsc_0839.jpg

36033_dsc_0840.jpg

Of course we have a whole yard full of left over lumbar, but no time, and its been raining alot. This kennel I have my babies in, was the neighbor he moved, and left and trashed this kennel, the door doesnt fit right to close, towards the back over the so called coop onto there is a huge hole in the chain link, we covered with chicken wire, heavy, we closed off the top, and then added tarps for some kind of sun water shelter.

Money is very tight so we use what we can recycled...about 97% of ours coops are all used items, the rest new pieces. We have one more 10x10 kennel new laying to the side my mother in law gave me when she hit a good CL sale and bought 3 of them at like 100 a piece and she gave me one.

so thats our ugly littles coops.

Last edited:
The old piece of gutter from our house when we got new gutters. I bent the ends up and nailed it to the floor and I poor all their feed into it.

Not really used for building but I use an old lidded picnic basket for a nestbox. Not lined put it on its side with one lid almost closed for privacy...
Used a 5qt plastic ice cream bucket and a round plastic pan (for big flowerpots) as a feeder, jsut like a homemade bucketfeeder but small.
Got very inexpensive wood laminate floor from Habitat ReStore, mismatched but a 'new floor' for the shed/coop. Old 2x4ish wood framed windowscreens as a door to outdoor run - just put hinges and a lock on and nailed a 2"bar across the inside as handle to pull door shut when I go in

I currently have 4 girls we brought home unexpectedly living under a 6' outdoor round table which I have run the hardware cloth around and put cement blocks around the bottom edge. I then put a tarp on one side for privacy and ran a board underneath sitting on the leg frames for a roost. My husband is outside building the new coop as I am typing so they will not be homeless long.

Back
Top Bottom