What is the most expenisive breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Weber Girls, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Weber Girls

Weber Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    What is the most expensive breed of chicken that you know of? What is the most you have heard a chicken being sold for? What is the most you have ever spent on a single bird, or pair?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Most expensive I've heard of is the Blue Isbar, $99 a chick! These birds can be found on craigslist for $60-$110 per pullet/cockeral. I guess it depends where you buy from.

http://greenfirefarms.com/store/isbar-juvenile-pair/

I was at a show and asked a guy how much he sold his Red Pyle OEGBs for, he said $75 each. Pretty pricey for a bant. I think the priciest we've even done was $25 for a 1st place pair of Barnevelders.

HS Pye

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Currently, the most expensive are Ayam Cemani at about $5000 per pair. As they become more popular and more widely available, the price will drop significantly. About 10 or 12 years ago serama were about $1500 a pair. They run about the same as many breeds now. I had 7 given to me a couple of months ago for 4H kids. Birds with choc tend to be fairly expensive; likewise, any recently imported breed or gene is more expensive than birds that are more commonplace.

Exhibition quality silkies from top lines easily go for several hundred dollars at auction. Other SQ birds from top lines tend to be similar in pricing.

4. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Proven Game Birds- some can go up to $1,000 and $1,000 is the most I have heard of. But the most I would say about $40 for a Spangled Game Stag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by