What is the most quiet chicken?

Our Easter Egger is nearly mute. A very quiet lady.

Our Welsummers are both very chatty. One will really let you know when she is working on an egg. All of her eggs are double yolked, which may explain some of the complaining. The other one (our top hen by a long shot) will tell you about everything and I mean everything. She acknowledges that you have walked by a window with a shriek. She is our "danger, Will Robinson" screamer. Great if there is danger. Not so great if she is telling you someone ate her corn. She is arguably louder than the roo we had for a little while. The roo crowed and was over it. Hazel just chatters at you all day long. Both our Welsummers are very sweet and calm (and Hazel is extremely clever), but neither are at all quiet.

Thankfully our neighbors are in their 90s and don't hear as well as they used to. And they really like eggs.

My sexlink is very quiet but every time she lays an egg, it's the BR who announces it.

I like the idea that there's a flock cryer, like a town cryer, to announce the flock's comings & goings. It's a toss-up between the BR and RIR who's noiser.

Going to add my 2 cents. I have heard that you can also insulate a coop for noise. Right now my chicks are pretty quiet. Our Rooster has only crowed once. The lady next door has hens. So it is not that big of a deal that we have chickens too. Zoning is cool w/it. However, none of mine have laid eggs yet...so I am not sure(they are Black Copper Marans) The fact is that we live in a suburb. There is so much noise around here that I don't think anybody even hears the chickens. We have two streets nearby, the neighbor kids literally scream a lot, dogs bark, helicopters hover. Chickens are the least of the noise pollution. Frankly unless someone complains it is not likely to be a problem for your friend. I have a good exit strategy too. My mom lives in the country and agreed to take whatever I can't handle. So plan ahead,, but go for it.
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

In a development....

Mowers, power washers, shop tools, kids screeching, dirt bikes, teenagers washing cars with the stereos boom booming, dogs (my neighbor has 10+ shelties) motorcycles left idling (harleys)

Seems to me the sounds my chickens make (including the roosters) are less often and lower volume and in MY opinon, less offensive.

No chicken is going to help you circumvent zoning. If you are legal - they are pets - let 'em cluck. I would have said Silkies are quietest - until last week, when my hen Sugar decided to come into her own vocally. She is a loud little clucker! What a racket!

Back
Top Bottom