What is the price of peanuts in China? What are you paying for feed?

What are you paying for a 50# bag of poultry feed?

• Below $6 a bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $6.00

• $7.00

• $8.00

• $9.00

• $10.00

• $11.00

• $12.00

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • $13.00

• $14.00

• $15.00

• $16.00

• $17.00

• $18.00

• $19.00

• $20.00

• $21.00

• $22.00

• $23.00

• Over $24.00 a bag

• Total voters
We spent $14.00 for 50# Laying pellets

50# baby chick starter was $15.50

We only have 8 Black Orpington Bantam chicks so started to get a 25# bag. It was $13.00. We got the 50#. Will have a few more chicks in about two weeks anyway.

Quote:
In the mountains above Denver, Colorado

We buy Modesto Milling also, for $40 per 50# bag of soy-free organic chick starter. Although it's challenging having to drive to Denver for feed (about an hour away), I am thrilled to avoid the shipping charges for soy-free from Texas, as well as the arsenic found in commercial varieties.
smile.png

I buy from 2 sources, my primary is Azurestand co-op 16% layer pellet, organic averages .50 a pound, last bags were 40# and cost $21 and change. They also sell soyfree organic, by I can't afford $38+ a bag w/ nearly 50 chickens. I can also get organic layer mash from Coyote Mills in Elgin, TX. The girls really like that, but w/ billing I there is just too much waste. It was $25 a 50# bag. Shipping for Azurestand is 8.5% of the order, where as shipping from Coyote Mills was $95 for 12 bags (From the Austin area to N TX). I finally bought a 24 Cu ft freezer and store my feed in that. It holds almost a 1000 lbs, so when I find a good price I stock up. I don't use corn for scratch, I get "chicken wheat" from Azurestand for under $15/50lbs and mix w/ milo, millet, oat or boss depending on what is available. That also gives me an organic scratch. I think I am the only one in my area that sell organic eggs. My egg money doesn't really make a dent on feed, but it does pay for chicks/eggs when I want to add new birds to the flock.

Next year egg money will be put aside for Christmas shopping. Finally getting enough regular customers that it will be viable.

Has anyone tried the http://www.familyfarmfeeds.com made by http://www.mannapro.com ?

Its available at some WalMarts. The site shows a list of WalMart stores that carry it. They show Poultry Equine Multi-Animal and Swine. We have a small WalMart about 30 miles away that carry it. Jenscott first told me about it. She drives within 3 or 4 miles of it every day. Have requested it at our WalMart but have been told they may carry it in a few months. I may have to start calling 1-800-WalMart and encourage them. It is a good feed and a fair price I am told. Have not checked the price lately, but was about par with Purina. Plus the Poultry Press list a $2 off coupon on Manna Pro product every month.

We have an http://atwoods.com remodeling the old WalMart building and should be open in a few months. Several tried to get a TSC store, but seems they don't want in SE Arkansas yet.

ETA: To bad we can't order the Family Farm feed online and have it delivered to our local WalMart. May call Moday and see if WalMart.com can sell it to us.

Last edited:
I'm feeding mine organic (Nature's Grown Organics) from the local feed store, it was $28 plus for chick starter (50lb) and around $23-25 for layer/pre-layer this summer. Up from $18/50lb bag for layer when I started feeding organic last year. I mix commercial scratch and boss with organic oats, millet and wheat for scratch, but I don't use much of it in summer. I sprout organic grains and legumes for added nutrients in winter. They're pastured as weather permits (still doing some foraging now at the end of Nov). I sell organic eggs and raised my price to $6/doz recently (from $5) because of the increase in feed price.

Back
Top Bottom