What is the proper dose of Poly-vi-sol for 2 day old bantam chick?

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
I have seen conflicting dosages from 1 drop a day for a week to 2 drops 3x per day. Is there a standard dose? The chick has a foot that she holds up and will not walk on. The foot does not seem responsive to touch. She was like that when I took her out of the post office box. Any advice would be very appreciated.

I'd love to know too! I have a baby hatched sometime in the night and she sits on her belly and hides under mom. other chicks doing great...she's just..."lumpy". OMG-that will be her name!
big_smile.png

umean babies human? Ok, I looked it up , its a mutlti-vitamin, so normally I would say , dont worry, give it as much as you want, the body eliminates what it doesnt need (this isnt true of oil soluble vitamins). The problem is it contains IRon. I will try and research how iron and poultry get along.

I have found several studies where chicks were given iron supplements but I can not find a dosage. Several studies indicated the the chicks were intravenously Fe-59, so I think they can probably tolerate it. My suggestion give them the smallest dosage on the label.

I always give my new born chicks Pedialyte, it has the main electrolytes and probably too much sugar, but that gives them the energy to get up , get around, and eat the Gel-grow. Potassium, sodium and chloride are minerals known as electrolytes. In the body, they are vital for proper cell function and growth and other than sugar, thats all it has in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom